Existing Member?

Third Age Adventures

Land of Nokia

FINLAND | Friday, 17 July 2009 | Views [527]

In contrast I really do like Helsinki. It's calm and peaceful and just seems sure of itself. And it has a church that I really like - called "The Rock Church". Originally it was a hill of granite and the hill was hollowed out. The grantite was cut up and used to fill in walls and a glass and copper roof added. Inside you can see the rock striations, which are alsmost vertical in some places. It's like a giant cave but filled with light. The central part of the roof is made from copper wire folded around in a spiral (and you can guess that I love copper) and the whole effect is natural and peaceful. We also visited an interesting monument to Sibelius made of metal pipes (that apparently the wind blows into and it makes "music"). Helsinki is set on numerous islands all connected by bridges and the effect of the white buildings and the water is lovely. We have had lovely weather and beautiful blue sky and the sky doesn't get completely dark at all. Not quite the midnight sun, but near enough for me. Marrimekko to you all.

About copperowl


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Finland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.