Existing Member?

Third Age Adventures

Voyager of the Seas

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 13 March 2016 | Views [341]

The ships keep getting bigger and more flashy. This one carries about 3000 passengers and boasts an ice-rink, a flow rider (aka fake surfing), and a shopping mall. The passenger numbers mean endless queues. The ship is bold and brassy. Despite all this, I kind of like it - the sheer improbability of it. And, on this cruise we have moved into the Middle Class - we have a Junior Suite, complete with balcony, a door between us and the next cabin, and a bath. And space. When I want a quiet place to read, or to write in my journal, the balcony beckons. And when I gt bored with myself, there are 2999 other passengers to chat to in the busy lounges, or near the Coffee Shop in the Mall.  And there I also find the highlight of my "onboard experience", a duo from the Phillipines who play the most exquisite music on violin and guitar. Joyce and Pedro become my obsession. I follow them around the ship like a stalker. And sometimes Pedro on his own - guitar solos mixing classical, spanish guitar and popular music. And sometimes singalong - late at night in one of the bars, where Pedor adds singing to his repetoire - John Denver, Neil Diamond, Simon & Garfunkel. The age demographic on tthe ship (me included), love it!

I've been to all the ports before, but there are always new things to see, even in familiar places. I love cruising. No bag to pack and unpack. leisurely days at sea - great food, excellent entertainment. Including, on this ship, ice-dancing! Then the crazy rush on port days to see as much as possible in a short period of time. Once upon a time, I back-packed, but in my dotage, this has become my travel scenario. While onboard I book another cruise for next year. But.... can I wait that long?

About copperowl


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.