Existing Member?

Third Age Adventures

Budapest

HUNGARY | Friday, 8 May 2015 | Views [360]

I last visited Budapest in 2005. That time I was there as a tourist. We went to all the beautiful places - the Parliament, Hero's Square, the Fisherman's Bastion, the Castle, and a memorable night cruise on the Danube as the lights of the city went on. It was beautiful. This time I'm here in a different capacity. Now my son, daughter-in-law and two grandsons live there. So I am there as a resident of Buda, the hilly side of the city. I am grandma. We travel on the impressively varied and reliable public transport. We use the metro, trams, ferries, bendy-buses, and "little buses", which navigate the small winding roads in the hilly parts. We visit a range of beautiful parks and the impressive childrens' playgrounds that are maintained by the government workers. On May Day we walked up a nearby hill and watched an aerial display featuring planes from jumbo jets to bi-planes doing a low fly-by up the Danube river. This was followed by formation flying and aerobatics by planes and, alarmingly, helicopters. In the meantime I read books to the grandsons, and dispensed cuddles. It was the BEST holiday!

About copperowl


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Hungary

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.