Existing Member?

Third Age Adventures

Nagasaki: Peace in our time.

JAPAN | Thursday, 16 April 2015 | Views [302]

It's the sort of museum that you walk through in silence. The Atomic Bomb Museum in Nagasaki. The before and after pictures. The photos of the primary school that was hit. Artifacts - things that survived but not in recognizable form. Bits of the Catholic Cathedral that was destroyed. Afterwards we visited the Peace Park with the monuments to peace from all over the world. And to the Hypercentre Park, where a simple black memorial marks the spot 500 metres below where the bomb exploded in the air. With concentric circles arond it to indicate how it spread. Some people thought it an excellent idea to stand in front and take a selfie for the folks at home. It seemed peculiar to one nationality. The one most likely to add the caption "Look what we did!"   It was very sobering. Many of the monuments featured the mother and child image. A constant reminder of the stupidity of war. No-one wins. The innocent die. The old men send the young ones to fight on their behalf. (This has been a paid political announcement by the Copperowl Party!)

The ship is much quieter this afternoon.

About copperowl


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.