Existing Member?

Third Age Adventures

Oh Canada!

CANADA | Friday, 21 September 2007 | Views [209]

Well, Quebec is lovely! It’s a walled city with what looks like a castle (it’s actually a hotel) on the hill which overlooks everything. Here are cobbled streets and horse-drawn buggy tours and beautiful European looking buildings.  And through it runs the St Lawrence River (I remember learning about this in Primary School), which apparently freezes over in Winter. The postcards of it look spectacular (although I’m not tempted to brave it). We were dropped off in the Old Town and I walked around there till 5pm. A few hours of that were occupied by listening to a busker playing the piano – he was a brilliant musician and played classical music. I bought his CD and it will provide great memories of these gorgeous surroundings. The dinner tonight was big on atmosphere, although a bit short of good food. We dined at the “Café de Paris”, which is part of “Le Chateau Frontenac” (The Castle) and they had a singer who also played the piano accordion, and all staff dressed in period dress. Prior to the meal we were taken on a tour of parts of the hotel, and we peeked out of the dormer windows over Quebec and at the copper clad domes and spires. Pity the food didn’t match the grandeur of the rest. Definitely a favourite!

About copperowl


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.