Existing Member?

Third Age Adventures

Norwegian Wood 2

UNITED STATES OUTLYING ISLANDS | Wednesday, 19 September 2007 | Views [201]

This morning I went down to the Nobel Peace Prize Museum. Inside, among other things was a wonderful display of the past Nobel Laureates.  In a quiet dark room there’s hundreds of fibre-optic lights which keep changing colour. Among these are little rectangular boxes which display photos and quotes from each of the medallists. So the pictures and words fade in and out too. The change of colour makes a wave effect. And in the background is relaxation type music. Very effective. And quite beautiful. Like being in a technology garden. I spent a couple of hours in there and came out feeling great. Anothe tick for Oslo's Museums!!

  OSLO – NEW YORK

  just as I arrived at the terminal I realized there was a siren going and a message – first in Norwegian and then in English saying: “The Fire Alarms have been activated. Please leave the building by the nearest available exit. Please follow instructions from officials.” People were walking out calmly - resignedly almost – with luggage. I followed and we stood outside in freezing wind for 10 – 15 minutes. Then suddenly people started going back in. Five minutes or so after I got back in came an announcement that “The terminal has now been inspected and is now open for passengers” We were all back in by then.

When I went through outward immigration the officer asked me where I was going. I said “London Heathrow then off to the States” He said “Do you live in the States?” I said “No, I’m Australian”. No reply, just a fixed stare. I began to laugh and I said “This is an Australian Passport”. No flicker of amusement. He said, in crisp Scandinavian English “ I know it’s an Australian Passport. That wasn’t the question”. Still laughing I said “I’m sorry. No, I live in Australia. I’m just visiting the U.S.” Still no response as he stamped my passport.

Was that the silliest question? Are the Norwegians doing the US’s work for them? Did I look like an illegal immigrant? (Did the laugh give it away?) What was that about?

Finally arrived at JFK about 10.30pm. (That’s about 2am where I came from). And through Immigration Customs where the man asked me if I’d ever been to the US before, to which I replied only to Hawaii. He then asked had I ever lived in Georgia?  Had a namesake been in trouble? Is that was the Norwegian man was on about?

 

I walked out the front and the super-shuttle buses – about 4, were all lined up. We took off at breakneck speed and at night and at breakneck speed it looked like any other city. Eventually to 8th Avenue and the Ramada. To my room on the 32nd floor. Quick shower and into bed. By this time it was almost 1am – 5am where I’d started.

About copperowl


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United States Outlying Islands

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.