Existing Member?

Third Age Adventures

Kota Kinabalu

MALAYSIA | Wednesday, 16 April 2008 | Views [227]

Today's port was Kota Kinabalu on Sabah (Borneo). Kota Kinabalu was sweet in a tropical way – blue water, palm trees. Mountains in the background. There was a lovely mosque – all blue and white. Quiet and peaceful as we toured around.

 We also were taken to a Buddhist Temple. As usual I felt really at home in the temple – they are so peaceful. I find Hindu Temples and Chinese Temples  too busy – over decorated. Some Buddhist Temples are the same, but in general I find them soothing. A few tourists ventured in and, despite all instructions, they left their shoes on. They were told to take them off but they seemed peeved and decided to stand outside. There was muttering about people “stealing” their shoes, but as most of the people were off the ship….. So while the outskirts were chock-a-block (photos could only be taken from outside), the inside was almost empty. I happily took mine off and went in, and found myself automatically adopting the Thai style of hands in prayer position and bowing to the altar as I entered and left. I lit incense and left it burning, a bit like the way I always light three candles in Catholic cathedrals. I don’t know why – I don’t even know if I believe in God, but I light one for family, one for friends and one for myself. I sometimes think of myself as a Buddhist, but I don’t really know much about it.  I just like the rituals and the symbolism.

Back on board it’s tropical night and there’s a tropical party on the pool-deck, starting at 10.45pm. Cocktail of the day is “Petronas Towers” – mixture of rum, banana & orange. Luckily, no petrol! I’m dressed to match the cocktail in my long red and white flower skirt. First I watch the sunset, which is beautiful despite the cloud. The waiters were all dressed in Hawaiian  shirts so the dining room is awash with Hibiscus prints.

About copperowl


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.