Existing Member?

Third Age Adventures

Cruisin' round the Islands

UNITED STATES OUTLYING ISLANDS | Sunday, 8 July 2007 | Views [227]

Monday: KAUAI:

We arrived in Kauai in the morning and spent the day at a little resort nearby. We had booked  in for the luau in the evening - a hangi by another name.  Busloads of us went. On a property about 10 minutes away – a sugar cane farm with a restored Tudor house (which the guide pronounced as two-door). A giant tent in the yard. The pig had been cooking for 9 hours – buried underground- and there were lots of Polynesian activities and entertainment. A Maori doing a Haka. (Do the Americans think that’s Hawaiian?)  Then a fire ceremony which I loved. I’m still reading the “Mists” series. How many places around the world had fire Goddesses, I wonder. These dancers danced a fire offering  to thank Pele for the fire we were using for the Feast. Then we ate . This was followed by a theatrical performance telling the story of how the people had come to Hawaii by boat from Tahiti. (Question on notice: How did these people get to Tahiti?) Ending with a spectacular fire dance by the men – which if I’m not wrong, owes its origins to Samoa.

But a great experience – we had dressed in our best tropical gear with flowered leis and so on.

 Tuesday:    Another great day. We sailed at 1.00pm and I spent time on deck looking at the amazing cliffs on the north side of Kauai. Couldn’t watch the sunset from the deck because they closed it off due to the high winds (which didn’t seem all that strong to me).

Twice while I was sitting by myself today, women came to chat with me. The first was in her 70s travelling alone. She is from Maui and was supposed to be travelling with her daughter, who got sick at the last moment. The second was from New York – I’m guessing she’s about 60+ as she has a 35 year old son and talked about her “big birthday”. These two both mentioned how “cute” my accent is. Isn’t that sweet?

Wednesday:   HILO    (AMERICAN INDEPENDENCE DAY)

Woke about 8.00am as we docked in Hilo. After breakfast we wandered to the shore excursion desk and discovered we could still go on the Volcano National Park excursion at 12.00pm.

So, off on the tour and onto the bus. First stop: A Macadamia Nut Factory and Gift Shop (just like Thailand!) The tour guide mentioned that Macadamia Nuts originally came from Queensland, Australia, but no mention of that at the venue. Didn’t buy anything –seems silly to take them back home. I did hear tho, that the chocolate coating was added by “a precise computer program”. Three cheers for computers!

After this, a 45 min ride to the Volcano National Park. At the Jaggar Museum we saw a twin display on the myths of Pele, the Fire Goddess, and of the geology of the area. We were told that nothing is erupting at the moment, but that Mauna Loa is swelling again so there will be further eruptions. We visited steam vents and stood on the edge of the crater of Kilauea. This is the world’s most active volcano (its name means “spewing”) and while this part wasn’t doing anything, it continually erupts into the sea, further south. The part we were standing on last erupted in the 80s. There were sulphur deposits everywhere. There were  places where the solidified lava flows could be seen –and the road had been mended where the lava had obviously flowed over the road. Then we walked through a lava tube which was really cool (as in temperature) and which is now surrounded by rainforest. Very interesting and glad we went.

  Hilo itself looked like a little seaside country town. Deceptively peaceful, since it’s been twice destroyed by Tsunamis (in 1946 and 1960), and at least once the western suburbs have been destroyed by volcanic eruptions. I imagine the real estate isn’t all that expensive!

Back on board we sailed out at 6pm and then “parked” a mile offshore to watch the 4th of July fireworks from Hilo. Not much happened on board for the day, which surprised me. Quite a few people wore special T-Shirts etc. One woman wore a headband with two stars that flashed red, white & blue. Looked a bit tacky actually. No more so, I guess, than the stuff that Aussies wear for Aust Day. But it’s different when you are part of it.

Thursday   KONA:

 We are in Kona today. Can’t dock so we have to go ashore by tender. We haven’t booked any trips – this is where we are coming back to, so we can do whatever next week. But we’ll go and look around. Later: Back on Board. I like Kona. Just as well – we’re here for a week. Not far from the port, either.

 Friday   MAUI:

 Back to Maui. Didn’t get off the ship in the morning as we are going on a tour to see the sunrise over the volcano, Haleakalā. We leave at 3.15am so today we’ve just been lounging and  napping. Since we’ve been to Maui before, it didn’t seem to be imperative to go ashore.

I’ve finished the second of the “Mists” books. – “Lady of Avalon”.  The last one is the “mists” itself. My head is so much in the Priestesses of Avalon mode and it jells with all the Fire Worship/watching the sunset-sunrise things I’m doing. So I feel as if I’m living 2000 years ago – worshipping Pele. I’ll need to come back to Earth a bit, so I’ll have a break before I reread the final book.

 Saturday   MAUI:

 We got up at 2.45am and joined a small group of “explorers” on the docks. All bleary eyed. Describing ourselves as “nuts”. Then on to the bus and a 1 hour trip up 10 000ft. on an incredibly winding road. When we got to the top it was freezing, and the first strips of orange were just lighting the sky. We stood around trying to keep warm and ignore the cold. A few hundred in all from various tours + a large group who were then cycling back down. They were the only ones who were dressed appropriately. After all, who takes winter woolies on a trip to Hawaii? The sky grew lighter – we were above the clouds so they began to be streaked pink. Then one cloud developed a halo, and we watched it shine brighter and brighter. Eventually the sun just lifted above the cloud – everyone sent “Ahhhh”. It was awesome, in the true sense of the word. I did feel like a worshipper at the sun temple.

Back on the ship by about 9.00am. In time for breakfast. I couldn’t believe that it wasn’t afternoon. Quick breakfast, the off to bed again!

 (From my Journal)

About copperowl


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United States Outlying Islands

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.