Existing Member?

Wander & enjoy the diversity...it feeds your soul “What is more miraculous than the moment?” Vietnamese monk Thich Nhat Hanh

Leaving Fargo

USA | Friday, 4 September 2009 | Views [988] | Comments [5]

Marge helps Pops celebrate his 82nd Birthday!

Marge helps Pops celebrate his 82nd Birthday!

July –-> Friday, Sept 4, 09 – Leaving Fargo…

Chuck & I left Fargo a few days ago for the second time this summer.  My 82 year-old father, an adventurer, just left as well - only he went on THE ultimate journey – the one we all face!

I am not fond of road trips…time in the car feels a bit like what I imagine time in prison might feel like…well, maybe for the first hour or so, then…prison might be enough to warrant putting me in a straight jacket with heavy sedation!  And although being seat-belted in & not being able to run around, road trips do have a few advantages…at least over flying -- I can lay my seat back more than 2 inches, sing loudly to whatever music is on my iPod (Chuck is extremely tolerant), eat fresh veggies/fruit out of the cooler, bring ‘sharps’ on board AND I can get out…most any time…so I take advantage - frequently!

We drove the approximately 3000 miles to Fargo & back in July & now just returned from the 2nd trip a few days ago.  Well…I flew to Fargo this time, but Chuck & Kirst drove!  Yes…Nepal, India, Thailand have been exotic, adventurous & exciting, BUT…my father was in Fargo & you couldn’t beat that!  Since he had been experiencing a decline in health, we wanted to bring him one of his favorites – Huckleberry pie from Mt. Hood! 

I have a deep connection & obvious Midwest history with memories of growing up in Moorhead, Minnesota that included quiet, tree-lined streets, brilliant sunshine on freezing-cold days, & breaking thru the ice with my rubber boots while crossing the backyard of a pastors house on my way to grade school.  But I also remember large family gatherings with lots of buttery, sugary, Scandinavian desserts like warm lefse just off the grill!  He has the same sweet cravings, so it was our turn to treat him!

Fargo, only separate from Moorhead, by the ever-changing north flowing Red River, was where I attended nurses training & after a cultural shock ‘camp’ nursing experience in the Pocono Mountains, I worked in Mpls/St. Paul.  So many Midwest memories - things I still enjoy & incorporate into our lives in the Pacific NW – family get-togethers, tuna casseroles, rhubarb pie, church/choir-organ music on Sundays & of course the traditional Norwegian lutefisk meal at Christmas.  With each visit I always hope to once again capture “the lake” experience with all it’s great smells & sounds – remembering how my Dad used to wind those squishy worms around my hook, how we used to hang ‘pop’ bottles over the side of the boat to keep them cold, how we snacked on potato salad & crunchy fried chicken while trying to catch a few walleye.  I also loved the feel of crispy snow & I think we shared a love of loud, booming thunder & lightning storms!  God’s reminder about who’s really in charge!  And now my Dad is back where the thunder is made! 

Although there were unfortunately no exciting rainstorms, we enjoyed family time over 4th of July weekend playing dominoes with Pops & Marge & witnessing Pops thoroughly enjoying seafood - lobster, crab, scallops plus desserts of all sorts!  At his request, we also helped him get a haircut & new glasses – had fun having him try on different frames.  He wanted to stick with his big glasses, but…we were a little pushy in getting an updated look.  We also enjoyed reconnecting with family members we unfortunately rarely get to see.  One of our great joys of our two visits was becoming closer with the families of Marge’s daughters, Valerie, Mandi, & Dawn.

My father, ‘Pops’ as we have called him since our daughters were young, was Harold W. Iverson, who turned 82 last Sunday, August 30th.  He was the last living parent either one of us had – our Scandinavian patriarch - from a Swedish-born mother & Norwegian father.  Whatever the reason (immigrant parents?) Pops enjoyed the adventure of travel, had an impeccable work ethic, loved family and demonstrated it by whole-heartedly supporting our efforts, endeavors & challenges.  His strength of will continued, even while he steadily lost physical strength.  He continued to listen, observe, & support…all with humor!

I believe I inherited Pop’s adventurous-curious-travel gene...and so did our daughters.  He left home at 17 (1944) to join the U. S. Merchant Marines, a civilian auxiliary of the U.S. Navy, but a uniformed service in time of war when mariners are considered military personnel.   He was an engineer who maintained machinery, mostly below the deck, while their ship transported supplies to various countries during WWII.  He loved the sea & talked about sitting on deck whenever he could while going between Italy, France, Germany, Panama Canal, the Philippines’& I forget...  Even now, as he suffered the effects of asbestosis & years of smoking, often struggling to breathe, he enjoyed talking about his adventures.  But he also took a great deal of interest in asking perceptive questions about our lives.  Our daughters, Kirsten & Kelsey kept him close by sharing their stories & adventures through pictures, phone calls through Skype (so they could see each other), sending exotic foods, small & sometimes strange gifts, music & with visits. 

Last week, Kirsten enjoyed sitting in Pops’ room, listening for his bell, sharing stories & waiting for Pop’s next joke, giving massages, & cooking an Indian meal for his review.  She spent her last night in his room sleeping next to his hospital bed, while a noisy oxygen tank ran continuously.  Pops liked to keep his bell handy, so at 3:55AM, he rang it so Kirst wouldn’t miss her plane - he had been watching the clock!  When asked if he had any words of advice before she left for India, he smiled & said, “Turn on the air conditioner.”  He loved having her visit!  But this was one of the most difficult good-byes Kirst (or anyone) makes in a lifetime!

He seemed to have been buoyed up by her presence --- as we were!  But over the last several days of our visit, he seemed to be steadily decreasing in strength & abilities.  He became more & more congested, coughing with difficulty, & sometimes he was confused – worrying about projects that needed to be completed or concerns about people’s safety.  Even in these last days, he was not to be ignored – tapping me on the arm if I got lost in conversation - when he wanted more food or drink.  Being a guy who loved to figure out how things worked, he latched onto his electric bed control - moving his bed…up/down...& around.  Even as he was particularly challenged to let go of his independence and privacy, he loved the attention of the hospice home caregivers & family!  Especially when they tuned in to his tastes, as Kelsey did with picking out music she thought he might like.  When listening to the CD that Kelsey made for him, he commented many times, “It brings tears to my eyes.”  Songs like, “You Raise Me Up,” & “Raise Your Voices” by Secret Garden were two of his favorites.  He also loved organ, choir (sang in the church choir & in a Barbershop Men’s Chorus), tenors, & all music that was BIG --- it was a BIG part of his life!  

Growing up on a farm, Pops worked tirelessly.  After years of farm chores, the Merchant Marines, delivering bulk newspapers, & being a fast-order fry-cook, he joined Gibb & Son’s Plumbing where he became a Master plumber & worked for over 40 years.  Besides being a full-time plumber, he built several houses, including the one I moved into when I was 6 years old.  As one might expect, given his unique set of skills, he was exceptional at figuring out how to fix or make something work – and he subscribed to the motto “measure twice, cut it once.”  Whenever he came to visit, he ended up fixing or building something to improve our lives and there wasn’t a piece of plywood or 2 x 4 wasted!   

We were living in our Portland 1940’s ‘bungalow’ 2-story house, when he brought his family & his hand-made toolbox…by train, to build us a second bathroom.  Kirsten, age 1½ imitated his handyman style & donned a tool belt with her own (plastic) hammer so she could help too!  A very sturdy picnic table he made at that home is still with us today – 3 houses later!  His building skills later turned to churches & cathedrals - the kind you make with a scroll saw – many over 3 ft tall – and intricately put together.  He also could tell you exactly how many cuts it took to make them!  In addition, his creativity extended to clocks, cradles, bowls, butterflies, & letter holders.  He turned his ideas into reality in ways that seemed like magic!

Besides his love of work, he LOVED family & showed us in so many ways – especially by his never-ending support - even when he may not have agreed with my/our strange ideas.  As I set off for Europe when I was 22, with a fairly new friend, he came to see me off – there were no questions, just support!  When I announced I was getting married…in California, he was there.  When I said, Kirst & I are going to Ecuador to see Kelsey, he asked, “Can I come along?”  He was fearless when it came to travel, especially combined with family.  Although he had a fibrillating heart & weakened lungs, family, especially grandchildren, were more important to him than worrying about his health, even at a 10,000 feet elevation where the air is a bit thin.  Without hesitation, he wanted to go on our white-water rafting trip.  While we couldn’t accommodate him in a raft, he traveled with us on the bus thru the mountains to the beginning point.  Although many bus-hours & miles away from any medical services, with no one that spoke English, he had fun waiting for us by the river while buying lunch for the 2 Spanish speaking bus drivers!  He especially enjoyed learning how to bargain in the open-air markets & was a good sport when a very sneaky old woman stole his wallet!  

He has supported, in multiple ways, two families that include 3 children from his first marriage to my mother Arline & 4 children that Marge brought to their second marriage, who Harold also considered his own.  With thirteen grandchildren (when he was in good health), he would go to basketball games, graduations, & weddings and later even tho’ he didn’t feel well, still took an interest in what was happening with family, local & international news, & the weather – especially if he knew loved ones were there.   Marge has provided a loving home where he has now been receiving attentive round-the-clock care.  This has not only allowed my father to stay in an environment that was familiar, comfortable, & with the food he loves, but it truly was a gift that family has benefitted from by being able to participate in his care – any time, day or night.  Marge’s dedication to caring for him at home, has allowed us to listen for his bell, so we could dash in to find out what he needed – we felt like we were doing something good, even if it was just little stuff!  We could get him a glass of water, prepare & help him eat his favorite foods like seafood & desserts, rearrange the pillows, open the blinds, hold his hand, read to him, massage his feet, say good morning & kiss him goodnight - just a few ways we could show him that we loved him.  There were a hundred little things that we could do for him, things we couldn’t necessarily do if he’d been in a nursing home.  It was truly a “sacred time” as a visiting pastor called it and a sacred place to be.

One of the great victories of his life was defeating his addiction to alcohol.  For almost 15 years he has been a recovering alcoholic enjoying the community & camaraderie of others in AA.  Indeed, several of his clock projects were to commemorate friends on their 12th year of being clean with a medallion for each hour on the clock.

Pops is a guy whose toolbox not only included a wrench & hammer but strength of character.  As he laid quietly with oxygen running listening to his favorite ‘larger than life’ music, he would take in the scene around him – watching, observing, & feeling the moment.  He didn’t have the energy to fix or build things anymore, but he was making jokes until last Sunday --- his 82nd birthday.  Chuck read him the card we gave him with about 20 superlatives, like smartest, bravest, cleverest, etc & he said in a voice you almost couldn’t hear - - - “I knew that!” 

My Dad encouraged family stability & togetherness.  In July, when asking him what he thought about a possible Peace Corp assignment, he advised…oh so deliberately & carefully…“Until Kirst & Kels have a more permanent place to call home, it’s important to have a place where they can find the garbage bag.”  Unusual phrasing, but as my father, he was concerned that I be a good parent --- that his grandchildren feel safe & we all have the security to do the things we need or want to do.  As a grandparent, he has been integral in our daughter’s lives.  There is nothing as special as a grandparent’s unconditional love, attention & watchfulness. 

I have noticed that each generation has different tools in their toolbox.  My father’s wrench, imbedded into a piece of round cement placed in our garden’s path - that we made together - is a sweet reminder of all the gifts our family has received from him!   However, the most important tools he has given will be far more enduring than our garden stone with his wrench.  On one morning, in and out of confusing dreams where he needed to fix things, he was humoring us with hiding his bell under the covers so we couldn’t take it away.  When I brought in his favorite flowers, also a favorite of his mother - red gladiolas, he smiled & said, “Wow!”  He continued enjoying simple things and also continued to give - the ultimate gift of helping us all to ‘BE’ in each & every moment, with each struggling breath!

Life seems too short, even if you’ve lived 82 years.  As the movie, “The Time Traveler’s Wife” makes so clear, if you don’t take full advantage of enjoying each moment, that ‘moment,’ person, event, beautiful sight, opportunity…is gone in a heartbeat!  His generous heart stopped beating today…but his memory lives on in all of us, friends & family, who had the pleasure & honor of BEING in his presence. 

Typically I am not fond of road trips, but thanks for being my Dad, my friend, and for our road-trip together!    

Comments

1

Simply Beautiful! Thank you!

  Kirsten Sep 5, 2009 8:57 PM

2

Yes, so beautiful and what a wonderful story! Thank you for sharing with all of us. Love you!

  Kelsey Sep 6, 2009 9:47 AM

3

Dear Ann, That was an amazing review of some great memories of you Dad. It was so good that you had some precious time with him just recently. I am going to print this off so Mom can read it and I know it will mean a lot to her. Please let's keep in touch. Thank you! Louise

  Louise Holtcamp Sep 6, 2009 1:20 PM

4

Thanks Ann for sharing your memories of pops. It was so good to read them. Your family is such a special part of our lives and of Mom and Pops. Thank you also for sharing Kristen and Kelsey with us - you are sure blessed with those children.

  Mandi Sep 7, 2009 12:46 AM

5

I read your thoughts about your Pop's again tonight. What a beautiful way to end my day, my heart is full of unquestionable gratitude to have known your Father and the wonderful memories of his life. After reading the history of Harold, one can truly say that "LIFE IS RICH"

  Joanne Tatley Grefsrud Sep 14, 2009 2:25 PM

About annanderson


Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.