Existing Member?

Wander & enjoy the diversity...it feeds your soul “What is more miraculous than the moment?” Vietnamese monk Thich Nhat Hanh

Our 'friend'

USA | Sunday, 13 September 2009 | Views [585]

Chuck, Ann, & Harold

Chuck, Ann, & Harold

Sept 9, 09 – My father, our “Pops”

What a privilege - to have been with him – at this “sacred time,” as one of his visiting pastors referred to these last few weeks.  Harold, or Pops as we called him, gave us many gifts over the years, but this was his ultimate gift – being present with him as he prepared for his biggest adventure – a journey – THE transition…or his ‘graduation’ as my husband’s father, Park called it.  As Pops struggled with each breath, it was the ultimate reminder of how precious every….breath…is.  He was demonstrating, with each breath, how to BE in the moment.  Yes, truly a sacred time!

These last few weeks, although he tired easily, getting short of breath, he enjoyed small things – telling a joke with only a word or two & a smile, tastes of mandarin oranges, peanut butter toast…or crab, lobster, & shrimp.  One of his favorite tastes, or so he said, was huckleberry pie.  When Chuck & Kirsten brought him one from Mt. Hood – he just beamed!  Another one of his great pleasures was listening to ‘larger-than-life’ music, so he’d requested our friend, John (from Wisconsin) to sing, “You Raise Me Up” and “Amazing Grace,” in his service.    

Some of my favorite memories are things that he liked also – open spaces, brilliant sunshine on freezing-cold days, tuna casserole, bologna sandwiches, cherry pie, singing, church choir & organ music.  Of course, traditional Norwegian lutefisk & lefse dinner at holiday gatherings.  I also remember fishing with him…how he looped the worms around my hook…how we hung ‘pop’ bottles over the side of the boat to keep them cold; eating crispy fried chicken…and hoping to later experience a good-old, thunder-lightning storm!   

My Dad, our Scandinavian patriarch…from immigrant heritage -- a Swedish mother & Norwegian father, enjoyed the adventure of travel.  He left home at 17 to join the Merchant Marines, worked hard, loved family, and demonstrated all of this by being whole-heartedly supportive!  Up until the last few days he continued to observe, listen & thoughtfully interact - asking perceptive questions.  He was concerned that his family felt safe & that we had the security to do the things we needed or wanted to do.  As a grandparent, he was integral to our daughter’s lives…with unconditional love, attention & watchfulness. 

Pops is a guy whose toolbox not only included a wrench & a hammer, but a love of story telling and a great sense of humor.  In these last few weeks - he’d been given a bell so he could call for help.  One morning, while making his bed, he motioned to me (turning his hand back & forth) asking for his bell.  I said, “Sorry, I hid it!”  When I finally gave it back to him, he grinned & hid it under the covers!  

My father’s wrench, imbedded into a piece of round cement placed in our garden’s path - that we made together - is a sweet reminder of all the gifts our family has received from him!   However, the most important tools he gave our family will be far more enduring than our garden stone!  He helped us to ‘BE’ in each & every moment!  One day, in July, I was holding his arm as we walked out to his deck and he whispered, “Thank you for your friendship.”  He was not ONLY my father…he was my FRIEND.

About annanderson


Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.