Existing Member?

He only went out for some milk A blurb of monstrous proportions - it was only supposed to be a couple of lines and the odd photo.

Tirana

ALBANIA | Friday, 1 December 2006 | Views [1182]

I like the imagery, but i dont know who it is

I like the imagery, but i dont know who it is

Hmmm - I'm now in Albania, what are my expectations?  The guide book suggests little men waving guns...i don't think so.  My first experience however is a very friendly welcome from the only hostel in Albania.  I've spent a few days by myself so I'm ready for a bit a company again - and the weather is warmer! yippee! :)

I've booked in for 3 nights but it's fair to say that Tirana doesn't hold an actioned packed 3 days of entertainment for me - there's  the main square with a mosque, and a couple of museums and there's the main square.  No I'm being a little mean, i have to remember this is a country that has spent a long time under communism rule and that it 'joined' with China but broke that when China was not rigid enough in it's beliefs - can you believe that!  It's also a country that has had many influences; Russian, Italian, Greek, Turkish etc.  The Albanians seem to have a strong sense of identity however- suprising really.

For a capital city i have a chilled time - wandering around the city, talking to whoever is in the hostel, including the staff and taking a day trip to Kruja.  It was worth a couple of hours and is an important site in Albania history due to their national hero Skanderbeg who consistently beat the Turks.  I'm also lucky to be around on the 29th of November when they celebrate 'Independence day'.  There are lots of stages set up around town for live music, and there are thousands of people in the streets, although strangely there aren't many stalls selling food or the like - nearly everything is as normal except for the stages, a bonfire, and posters and a film projection from that era.  i get stuck at one of the smaller stages, a band are warming up who play covers of The White Stripes and Coldplay and are actually pretty good - it isn't enough to keep me warm however, and due to my ever lingering cold i am freezing.  It's been a good night though.

Tirana is a strange city, for the head of what has been a very strict city it is suprisingly colourful.  Think of the brightest colour you can and go paint a building with it, think of another one and go paint the next one!  It's mad, there are these brightly coloured buildings everywhere in the middle of communist grey.  I like it.

So far apart from the people I'm not impressed my Albania - far too much rubbish, pollution and smoke and the like.  Many areas are under construction and the roads and pavements generally are death traps.  I have till enjoyed my time here and am very glad i took the time to visit it.  Surely the people more than make up for everything else?

 

About all_powered_up

one ruined t-shirt and one ruined pair of trousers.  cool.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Albania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.