Existing Member?

He only went out for some milk A blurb of monstrous proportions - it was only supposed to be a couple of lines and the odd photo.

Bratislava

SLOVAKIA | Thursday, 19 October 2006 | Views [1218] | Comments [1]

View from the castle over river Danube

View from the castle over river Danube

Coming up to the city via the bus doesn't bode well - lots and lots of high rise flats, i guess communism still rules.  Then you reach the centre of town.  Wow, what a difference, it feels great.  Cobbled streets, great architecture and the feel of a small town that's in a big place...i like it straight away.  There's a great mix of old and young, good cafes and restaurants to funky bars and bistros.  This is one East block town that is not cheap however.
I check into the only hostel in town, and so its busy, and it has the worst music I've ever heard played continuously in the common room - now i know I'm getting old.  Its not a bad place though and its good to be able to make my own breakfast again.
I only spend two nights here and i feel in that time I've seen all i need to see, that's not saying i don't like it, because i do.  There's just not a huge amount to see and do.  There main bit of culture is the castle, which actually had a Chinese photo/costume exhibition.  As it was included in the ticket price i went round it - i thought id been there and done that, and why would i want to look at Chinese stuff when I'm in Slovakia?  It was fantastic however! - the photos were great, and it thrilled me to see that I'd been to some of the places and even had some very similar photos.  i must be getting good :)  (or his just weren't that original or good).  I also got eaten by a tripod - see photos, which at 10 o'clock at night when it's very windy was a great experience, and made me realise I'm not quite over my fear of heights yet.  

A good city and a chilled time.

 

Comments

1

Is this your journal shane? just followed it from your email but it dosn,t have your name on it let me know.
Dave of course it is you fool...and now you've ruined my secret identity :)

  Dave Williams Oct 24, 2006 2:21 AM

About all_powered_up

one ruined t-shirt and one ruined pair of trousers.  cool.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Slovakia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.