Existing Member?

He only went out for some milk A blurb of monstrous proportions - it was only supposed to be a couple of lines and the odd photo.

High Tatras

SLOVAKIA | Friday, 6 October 2006 | Views [1146]

Dawn at the chata

Dawn at the chata

The Lonely planet guide says just get a bus to Lysa Polana, walk over the border and then get a bus to Tatranska Lominica - it's as easy as that to get from Poland to the High Tatras in Slovakia...of course reality was slightly different.

The bus driver dropped me at Polana Polenica, so i had to hike with Bob to Lysa Polana, and then...nothing.  A cafe selling cheap (cheaper than chips) Slavakian booze and a car park.  Luckily there's a parking attendant, he speaks no English and wants to sell me a time share in the mountains, but he does have a copy of the bus timetable.
Tatranski Lominica, a small, and i mean small village with a big cable car up into the Tatras which closes the day i arrive for safety concerns.  Should i be happy?  It did have a supermarket, and it was cheaper to buy beer than water.  of course i only drank water - I have to think about my health.  i decide in my sober state that i want to climb Rysy, Poland's highest mountain at 2499m.  Why i decided now and not while I'm actually in Poland i don't know.  I realise I'm too far to hike from where i am so i travel to Stary Smokovec and have another day relaxing and drinking water.  Stary Smokovec a place that sounds nothing like i pronounce it.  It's a little bigger than my previous town, and it has Internet, and here I'm sat, resting with a glass of water after spending 3 days in the mountains.

Rysy was easy.  It was snowing, freezing cold, wet and dismal and i didn't enjoy most of it.  But it was an easy climb and in those brief spells of sunshine the views were fantastic.  I spent two nights in mountain refuges, called Chatas.  Mine was where they film cell block H - it was depressing, and i was bored as the weather was dire and I'd packed super light (i have a small day sack called Dawn - i didn't name her that (sorry to my friend Dawn) but it's written on the side of it).  I had 2 main meals, a desert and several larger waters that first night and was contemplating my second desert.  I don't even have Craig or a companies budget to blame, i just needed something to do. 

It did give me a chance to get some good photos though, particularly of the lakes and the mist.  At times it was unbelievably quiet.  I'd stop and the only thing i could hear was my breathing - it was a complete feeling of isolation and yet feeling at one. Overall it has been enjoyable and so far little different to Poland.  After all this keyboard also has 3 Z's and 2 Y's just like the ones in Poland.  The ones in Germany had the Z and Y the wrong way around - imagine how irritating that was!

 

About all_powered_up

one ruined t-shirt and one ruined pair of trousers.  cool.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Slovakia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.