Existing Member?

He only went out for some milk A blurb of monstrous proportions - it was only supposed to be a couple of lines and the odd photo.

Krakow

POLAND | Thursday, 28 September 2006 | Views [1007]

Auschwitz

Auschwitz

I'm on my fourth and final day...i like it here, i think i may be back next week. It was largely untouched by the war and is a pleasing mix of new and old, with an old town and large, that's LARGE square that just comes alive at night.  There is something about the feel of the place that is quite right.

Yesterday i spent the whole day at Auschwitz I and II (Birkenau), and what with the recent memories of Anne Frank and Checkpoint Charlie swimming in my mind it made me very melancholic.  Ausch I was more the tourist museum, lots of displays and pictures and a movie, with a gas chamber to end with.  There was an old man in at the same time as me who got told off for going the wrong way around, "i can, my father died in there" was his response.  Totally sobering and totally a worthwhile experience.

Today has been a visit to the worlds oldest working salt mine (300km long and growing!) ans was actually not bad.  Along with fantastic examples of crystals and carvings made into the rocks they had a Snow white and the 8 dwarfs display - i ask you!

The hostel has been good and an interesting, last night i actually got some sleep as i found my ear plugs.  Free washing and drinks, and it includes a breakfast all for 8 quid so I'm on budget at the moment.

Off to dinner now though, time to blow some dosh and then get Bob out of the closet ready for Zakopane.

 

About all_powered_up

one ruined t-shirt and one ruined pair of trousers.  cool.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Poland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.