Existing Member?

He only went out for some milk A blurb of monstrous proportions - it was only supposed to be a couple of lines and the odd photo.

So You Want to Learn Spanish? - Laguna de Apoyo

NICARAGUA | Saturday, 22 March 2008 | Views [6773]

Simba (a male dog with a girls name in Spanish) is just being friendly to the pig (that's wild, but now tame and thinks it's a dog).  I don't think Simba cares either way...

Simba (a male dog with a girls name in Spanish) is just being friendly to the pig (that's wild, but now tame and thinks it's a dog). I don't think Simba cares either way...

A scorpion in my shower, a tarantula in my bedroom, ants in my bed, flies in my soup (seriously), 3 flea ridden, but lovable dogs, a tame wild pig that thinks it's a dog, lots of trees and wildlife including hummingbirds, woodpeckers, and bats...plus 4 hours of lessons in Spanish a day.  Add a freshwater, volcanic, crater lake no more than 30m away, and you have a lot of distractions for an ageing student, who's never been good at languages.  Yes I'm finding it difficult to learn.

I'm 'supposed' to be studying in Guatemala by now, but i sort of got stuck here.  I like the surroundings, the people, the simple lifestyle - although i have been stir crazy a couple of times.  I'm also supposed to be eating, sleeping and thinking Spanish, but instead i find myself eating bugs, sleeping with bugs and dreaming of chocolate.  In the evening i often chat with the other students - in English...I'm a hopeless student.

Life is certainly different here.  I'm awake everyday at dawn (usually itching).  My lessons start at 8am, and last until 12.30 with a break at 10.30.  Then we stop for one of the 3 meals that are supplied to us.  I particularly like the very Nicaraguan food of pizza - generally the food has been great and not just rice and beans, although we do have them everydayand for every meal.  There's a fridge full of help yourself, honesty system beers and a large balcony with which to watch the world of man and animal go by.  I have local teachers who speak virtually no English and fellow students from all over the world.  It's been interesting, but a fairly intensive 3 weeks.  It's been a fairly serious Shane, for at least 1 week of them.  Some days I've studied for 10 hours or more and felt like i have remembered nothing.  My most common words are no entiendo/conozco/recuerdo - i don't understand/know/remember.  Bizarrely some days the whole class is spent chatting - it's a twilight zone of how and what.  Topics of politics, Nicaraguan history and wars, religion. prostitution, abortion, how crap (Nicaraguan) men are, other cultures, UFO sightings of the 2 of the other students, and loco gringo's are all discussed in detail.  I really don't know how this has occurred, my verbal spanish is pretty awful.  Yet I know all about the unfortunate history of one of my nice but unhappy teachers and how she ended up without a father herself and a father to her two kids.  A very common and sad tale i hear again and again.  Sometimes travelling can be a depressing, sobering experience.  I am muy suerte as i tell her again and again.  I really feel very lucky too.
 
The school is a non-profit organisation, ran by locals and a hippy jefe as i call him (hippy gringo boss).  It's a nice set-up, maybe not always the most efficient endeavour, but an enjoyable one none the less.  I particular like the gossip i get to hear from everybody.  Some of it is truly incredible - who says village life is boring.

Learning Spanish is not easy, I'm not in the immersion method, sort of a half-way house.  4 hours a day is tiring though.  Add to it excursions and the meeting of locals, most of it in Spanish and you can't help but pick some stuff up.  I started my time here, knowing virtually no Spanish except to ask for a bus to somewhere and now i can talk about UFOs and abortions...it's important to concentrate on the necessary stuff.

 

About all_powered_up

one ruined t-shirt and one ruined pair of trousers.  cool.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Nicaragua

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.