Existing Member?

He only went out for some milk A blurb of monstrous proportions - it was only supposed to be a couple of lines and the odd photo.

The Rakiura Track

NEW ZEALAND | Sunday, 6 January 2008 | Views [1982]

Did you know Stewart Island was the 'anchor' to hold the canoe in place for pulling up the north island - the south island is the canoe...obviously.

Did you know Stewart Island was the 'anchor' to hold the canoe in place for pulling up the north island - the south island is the canoe...obviously.

Described as a 3 day moderate to difficult track, this was my chance to get out in the bush and see kiwi's - the brown flightless bird kind i should add.

The first walk went quick - the signs give generous times and i had the weather with me, it wasn't a crowded house though - just 4 of us were in the first hut.  I tried to go Kiwi spotting the first night...picture me, seemingly in the middle of nowhere, moving furtively through the bush, heart pounding because it's so dark, I'm alone and I'm a wuss with an overactive imagination.  The roar of the ocean is making it hard to hear things, a light drizzle is just starting and then suddenly there's a really loud noise and it's coming towards me...it's a heavy man and he's running at full pelt in my direction.  Adrenaline kicks in, I become superman and then I realise it's hooves and its running FROM me...I decide to call it a night before the skies fully open and i wet myself.

I don't see a kiwi over the next two days, the walks are surprisingly easy, the wildlife is less than that around Oban and there's too much boardwalk - this is a GREAT walk?  It a slightly weary me that walks through the rain back to Oban and my Christmas dinner invite.  Dinner is at Jo and Andy' mums with some of there friends and 2 other B&B guests (Len and Jacqui) - i feel privileged to have been invited.  It's strange though not to be with my own family, but even so, it's a good day. 

Len is a great laugh and a top senior golfer in Wales.  Somehow i get invited to play on the local 6 hole course.  This has to be one of the strangest and most southern courses in the world - amazing views, amazing holes and amazing that i got around it by only losing 1 ball (i found about 8 to make up for the ones i lost).  It's a long and great day - dodging showers, dodging my slices, and getting tips on how to play and where to look for my balls. 

I also strangely and gratefully got an invite to say at Jo and Andy's mums.  Coral is a nice lady who's mind is as sharp as her wit and her ability at scrabble - i always lose.  With her permission I use her house as a base - I've decide to walk the 8 - 12 day North West track, a tough trek through mud...lots of it.  This will be difficult, but I really want to spot kiwis.  I'm hoping it's worth it...

Tags: island, trekking

 

About all_powered_up

one ruined t-shirt and one ruined pair of trousers.  cool.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.