Existing Member?

He only went out for some milk A blurb of monstrous proportions - it was only supposed to be a couple of lines and the odd photo.

West Coast and Glaciers

NEW ZEALAND | Sunday, 2 December 2007 | Views [1017] | Comments [1]

My pint...

My pint...

Golden Bay, Greymouth, glaciers, and great big blobs of bird poo on my head.  That makes 5 times now: birds 3, bats 2, Shane 0 - we were sat outside, enjoying a well deserved cup of coffee.  The ironic thing is that Tony had offered me his seat due to the direction of the sun and my lack of a hat.  He likened it to Pearl Harbour and a series of cluster bombs, and was very considerate in the way he didn't quite actually lose his coffee through his nose.

We recover from our trekking by spending a couple of nights in Pohara in Golden Bay.  We found a lovely, homely little hostel - i love the feel of the place.  It's pure chill, wine, beer, great food, and huge long beaches.  Both of us would be happy to stay longer.

Our second stop is Greymouth, an 'historic' gold mining town - there's gold in them 'ere 'ills, or at least there was.  Now there's a few tourists, a few sights like a gallery, a few walks, and of course Monteiths brewery and tour.  We did the tour and it was actually very interesting and totally devoid of the hygiene measures of other tours I've been on.  The last part is getting to taste their selection of 7 beers and then pouring our own pints until we quietly get told we'd better leave soon.  There happened to be a leaving party on at the same time and so 'senior management' told us to stay and poured us another - what a great tour!

Greymouth isn't a bad place, but it lacks things to do.  Its beaches aren't quite as accessible as other towns and it has hostel rooms from hell.  well not that bad, but they "really oppressed Tony".  Even with all the free beer, free pool and great Thai food, both of us were happy to leave.

Our next stop is somewhere I've been really looking forward to - Franz Joseph glacier and Fox Glacier.  I'd planned to take a helicopter flight, but when it came to the crunch, or the chink of coins i decided the weather wasn't good enough and i couldn't justify the cost.  We instead spent a couple of days hiking in the area, trying to decide which glacier we liked best and enjoying the serenity and views of the area.

The driving has simply been amazing, I love the fact that all the bridges, creeks, rivers etc are named.  Trumper hollow, fanny creek, little trickle creek, windy point creek, lost at rugby creek, sore losers creek...

Tags: trekking

 

Comments

1

I didn't even stop in Greymouth, it was raining and the place looked too much like Mansfield. Reading your travels in NZ is immensely frustrating for me... I want you to go to a million places you haven't been to and I want to hear more about the places you have... If you ever see a ghost while you're there,green with envy, it's probably me... and yes, I expect your usual sarcasm-topped response. Tam ;) Shane: you are always my ghost my frustrated friend

  Tam Dec 10, 2007 6:04 PM

About all_powered_up

one ruined t-shirt and one ruined pair of trousers.  cool.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.