Existing Member?

Honeymooners We travel, we see sights of awe. Home is where the heart is. My heart is with Briel.

Terracotta Soldiers!

CHINA | Sunday, 28 September 2008 | Views [3120]

The Terracotta Soldiers are the most famous and significant find of this century.  There are over 6000 soldiers found. Consisting of infantry, carioteers, archers (both standing and kneeling), horses, chariots, weapons, with different figures depending on rank and function.

Originally they were created by the Emperor of the Qin dynasty after he unified the different provinces of China bringing them all under his ruling.  Being an arrogant and ruthless leader, he spent the next 4 decades creating his tomb.

The tomb is over 53sq kms in size.  There are currently 3 pits excavated.  He died 3yrs before the completion of the tomb however - interestingly while he was inspecting their construction.

However he was buried with his dream - to bring his army with him into the afterlife so that there too he could reign supreme.

However after his death there was a peasant uprising - and the tomb was set on fire and eventually was buried by the earth to be forgotten for more than 2000 years.

In 1974, a farmer on the land digging a new well found the first parts of a buried soldier.  The site was then excavated and the site declared a world heritage site.

Standing there in front of the soldiers was more magnificant than I could have imagined.  I had always wanted to visit this site since I was a little girl - it was one of the main reasons that I have always wanted to visit China.  I was a bit hesitant as we went - Briel had never heard of the site, and we were at a point in our travels that we were craving just natural beauty.  To see this site we had to go to ANOTHER city in China and he was hesitant.

As I entered with a bit of hesitation and nervousness, I was relieved to see that Briel's face was just as stunned and excited as mine.  They really were life size models, each figure special with their own armour and design based on their rank and function.  We both wanted to run thru them, to touch them, to look closer at the detail.  Of course we did not... but we REALLY wanted to.

In the end Briel was really happy we went - and I was able to tick off another item on my 'travel to do list'.  Happy Happy day.

Plus we made another great 2 new friends - Daniela and Avi.

Tags: china, terracotta soldiers, xian

About abelaine


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.