Existing Member?

Honeymooners We travel, we see sights of awe. Home is where the heart is. My heart is with Briel.

Shanghai

CHINA | Monday, 8 September 2008 | Views [860]

Shanghai was the main international port city in China and remains a major hub today.  The city is bustling with people, high rises and public transport.

Other than Beijing, this is known to be one of the most expensive of the cities.  Indeed it was not cheap to stay or eat here.  There are good hotel and hostel facilities though.  The public transports of the bus metro and taxis are organised and frequent.

Here there is always the bustle of people.  The traffic is busy and the lights signaling stop or go appear to be only a suggestion.  So even if your padestrian lights say green to go - still watch out.

The food here is plenty and good.  There are options of english menus, or you can try your luck by pointing.  There are many interesting choices and many delicious things we already know about from back home!  So it depends on how adventurous you are.  You can try things like scorpion, turtle to the known favourites of dumplings and steamed buns.

There is a very nice museum here where entrance is free.  The Shanghai museum and has great art work along with porclains and bronze galleries.  We spent easily a few hours here gazing at the different styles over the different dynasties.

The People's Park is frequented by locals as well as tourists who love to sit and enjoy the sun.  We saw couple giggling and holding hands while groups would play cards or fly kites.  The kite flying is with an expertise I have never seen before - they are SO good at it.  Well they invented the kite so makes sense I guess.

The walk along the BUND - the harbour - if fun filled with lots of lights, boat cruises, street vendors, street acts and people wanting to sell you anything from toys to DVDs to art work.  You can have fun buying up a storm here.

One of the cool things in Mainland China is that everyone loves drinking tea.  So yep there are delicious and varied tea shops.  BUT what is even cooler is that after you buy your loose tea, you should then buy one of their typical tea holders which filter it and you can hold easy in your hand.  Why buy this - well you can be drinking tea all day long as EVERY place will be happy to give you boiled water for free.  This includes places like bookstores - anywhere really.  So fill up all day long. 

Like any big city it has its night life and shopping is till very late each day.  It also has the usual fake scams and scams to bill you thru the roof so be careful of people offering you free tastes.

HOWEVER I have MUCH met more great people here than not.  As I said people are curious just to talk to you. 

I can recommend the Hiker Youth Hostel on 450 Jiangxi rd just off Nanjing rd - Eastside.  This has a great location for near the hotspots and the staff are helpful.  Costs from 50RMB a night.

If you don't already know - get a phrase book.  It saves us all day long.

Love China!

Ciao for now.

Tags: shanghai

About abelaine


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.