Existing Member?

Honeymooners We travel, we see sights of awe. Home is where the heart is. My heart is with Briel.

Day 3 - Eaten Alive!

NEPAL | Thursday, 24 July 2008 | Views [1219]

Well the day started of great with BIG breaky.  However there is a reason why NOW is LOW season.  I am not complaining about the endless rain and clouds as they seem to be only for half a day mostly - I am shaking now at having to even recall - the hundreds of leeches that attacked us!

As we left Landruk we were equipped with little salt bags to help with leeches that we might encounter.  These bags lasted about 30 minutes before they broke apart from overuse!  As we walked, we HAD to stop every 30 seconds to remove 10-30 leeches from our feet.  I am NOT exaggerating.  It was a horror movie.  Even our guide was shocked "In my 12 years of trekking here I have never seen so many leeches".

A 2 hour walk took 4 hours.  At the stop over we pulled off our socs and pants.  There were leeches inside, on our necks, back and SO many on our ankles.  The boys were bleeding as if their ankles had been slashed with a knife.... Even as soon as you think you are done, another is found.

We took a 30 minute break.  We still had a one hour walk to get to Jinu Dadah - are target spot.  I was nearly crying as I didn't want to face more leeches.

My wish was NOT granted.  The rest of the walk was only mildly better.  I was exhausted by the time we arrived to eat lunch.

I was even too drained to take the 20 minute walk to the Hot Springs - but Briel gave me the motivation.  The walk there was just as nuts with the leeches only stopping when we got to the springs.

The Hot Springs was great, a place where a HOT stream combines with the roaring ICE river.  It too a while but slowly we calmed down to enjoy the hot water.  We even had a spot with rushing hot water so we had a HOT shower!  YIPPEE.

Going back to the main village was a nightmare also.  We spent about 3 hours at the hot springs and it was now dark, so we decided to stay in this village for the night.  The leeches were a bit in the village as we trekkers and locals bring them in from the walk.  I made Briel check his feet before he got into bed - he thought I was a bit looney but when he looked down he had a BIG one sucking on him!  NOT fun....

It was disturbed sleep we had.  The leeches took everything from me emotionally and even physically.  "I am ready to go home" I sniffed "yeah me too" Briel replied.

Hard day.... Ciao for now

Tags: nepal, trek

About abelaine


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.