Existing Member?

Honeymooners We travel, we see sights of awe. Home is where the heart is. My heart is with Briel.

Lima-Peru

PERU | Sunday, 9 March 2008 | Views [1059]

We arrived to Lima at 12.30midnight.  It took over an hour to get out of customs.  Where we were advised of the 25USD departure airport fee.  Hmmm... okay whatever hehe

Lucky us we got the hostel Espanja to pick us up in a taxi for 12USD (expensive by the way here).  As it was chaotic in the airport and the streets of Lima were pretty dead or crazy at that hour of the night.

As we drove most of the city we passed looked all like favelas (shanty towns).  Although you could see that once upon a time the city was very pretty with gorgeous victorian style buildings.

When you get to the centro area, with the catherdral and the presidents home, it is well lighted and does alot to show the magnificant style and beauty of the area.  A shame not all of the city is as well kept as it could be so charming.

Walking the streets on our first day we were treated with a Peruvian street fight between a couple of locals.  It was a crazy sight as other people started to hold/stop the cars to allow them to continue fighting undisturbed.  There was even bets being laid on the outcome.

We were also treated to a religious cermony street walk.  It looked like something out of the funeral in the Godfather movie.  With painful trombone music, ladies in veils who looked like they should be weepi9ng and men in purple hooded cloaks swaying slowly.  Wish I had the video camera it was something else.

We got to see the change of gaurds ceromony at the presidents offical home.  It was a real show, with marching bands, and fancy guards doing all kindas a tricks with the rifles.  It went on for about 15min.

The food here is pretty cheap, Briel had found his favourite coconut drink already for 1 SOL = 25 Euro cents.  We ate breakfast together for 1.50 EUR hehe and lunch will be a seafood feast for 10 Euros together.  I could get used to this!  It was really delicious and we couldn´t finish it either there was so much.  Got a 2 scoop icecream for 1.50 SOL (around 40 cents) haha YIPPEE 

Our hostel was okay priced too, for 6EUR each for a private room and bathroom.  The style of the building is something very spanish of 300 yrs ago, people are friendly and helpful.  However it is still no palace or 5* place.  But hey for this price no worries since it is in the centre of town!  Plus the view of the mountain from our balcony was stunning.

Bus to Cuzco from Lima will cost 130 SOL (32 EUR) each with 2 meals provided.  This is the more expensive touristy bus. Takes about 21 hours.  A flight there is about 100USD each one way and take 1 hour.  There are cheaper locals buses.  However after our local Argentinian experience I think we can afford to go the tourist direction especially when it is not so expensive.

People here seem lively, funny and happy.  Will be glad to get to know them better - oh and Briel and I feel really tall here haha.

Ciao for now!

Tags: sightseeing

About abelaine


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.