Existing Member?

Honeymooners We travel, we see sights of awe. Home is where the heart is. My heart is with Briel.

Magdalena Island- Penguinos

CHILE | Monday, 3 March 2008 | Views [1380]

From the southern most big city of Patagonia region in Chile - Punta Arenas - You can visit Magdalena Island home of 60,000 penguins(recorded in 2001).

The island also boasts the homes of many other birds and wildlife.  However our attention was firmly fixed upon the cute penguins.  Many were coupled up in pairs, cuddling, kissing or singing to each other.  Others were singing out looking for their partner (I think this based on the movie Happy Feet).  While others were just growing out of their baby feathers.

For a moment we were lost in the magic of the penguins and their song.  They are so adorable that you can sit and watch them without noticing the time pass by.  They are afraid of you, and they don´t let you touch them or allow you to get too close to them.  However we sat about 50cm away from them and they were ok.  Much closer and they will try to attack you (happened to Briel hehe).

To come to the island there is boat every afternoon at 4pm returning 5 hours later. Cost is 20,000 Chilean pesos.  You spend 2 hours on a very slow boat there, 1 hour walking on the island and 2 hours back again to the port. I think you could swim faster.  To get to the port, there are ´Collectivas´ for 300 pesos a person (number 15) which can take you there.  The cost of the collective is a bit more after 9pm.

Ciao.

Tags: Sightseeing

About abelaine


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Chile

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.