Existing Member?

Honeymooners We travel, we see sights of awe. Home is where the heart is. My heart is with Briel.

Corcovada - "The Christo"

BRAZIL | Thursday, 24 January 2008 | Views [1639]

You are stunned as the mighty tall Chrsito gazes over the whole city in protection and hope.  It magnifies the glory of the city 1000 times more.

To get there (from Copacabana Ave) catch a local bus 583 for about 25 min and ask the bus attendant to let you know when you get off.  Once off you will be bombarded with offers to take a mini van up to the Christo and from another site to see the Christo.  The cost is 36 Real per person.  As we were 4 people going early morning (so not many people) we were able to bargin them down to 20 real a person.  The alternative is to catch a taxi which you can eventually find for 60 real for the entire car.  This is cost effective if there is 3 or more of you.  However you will need to be firm and NOT give up on the price you want.  You will get it from a taxi or a mini van if you are firm that you will NOT go higher. They will then pick you up about 1 hour later to take you down the mountain.  Where you can catch your local bus back.

Briel and I wanted to walk up which would take about 3 hours.  It is a steep incline and is advised against due to having to walk thru 3 favelas.  Sometimes there can be robbers along the bushes waiting for travellers walking up.  The walk would have been gorgeous though and if you can get at least 6 people it seemed safe enough.  I saw some people did walk or jog up.  However I guess then they would need to walk back dow - so plan for a big day!

The statue stands 39.6 metres (130 feet) tall, weighs 700 tons, and is located at the peak of the 700-m (2296-foot) Corcovado mountain in the Tijuca Forest National Park overlooking the city.

A symbol of Christianity, the statue has become an icon of Rio and Brazil.

The outer layers are soapstone, chosen for its enduring qualities and ease of use. Stone for m Sweeden, while construction took nine years — from 1922 to 1931 and the monument was opened on October 12, 1931. The cost of the monument was $250,000 USD

As of 7 July 2007, Christ the Redeemer was named one of the New Seven Wonders of the World in a list compiled by the Swiss-based The New Open World Corporation. In Brazil there was a campaign Vote no Cristo (Vote for the Christ) which had the support of private companies, namely telecommunications operators that stopped charging voters to make telephone calls to vote. Additionally, leading corporate sponsors including spent "millions" of dollars in the effort to have the statue voted into the top seven.

Our experience was fantastic.  As we drove to the mountain it started to get very cloudy and we were disheartened that we would not get to see the Christo except from right under it.  However when we got to site 1 - as we looked at the Christo from behind the clouds to our amazement all the mist swirled and lifted.  Leaving the view clear and lovely for us.  Walking up to the Christo the sky remained cloudless as we took photos enjoyed the scenery.  As we left though the clouds quickly formed again making it impossible to see after.  However we got to have a mini miracle.

We went with our new friends Newska and Lisa.  Ladies we hope to see you somewhere in the world again!

Ciao for now!

Tags: Travel Tips

About abelaine


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.