Existing Member?

Honeymooners We travel, we see sights of awe. Home is where the heart is. My heart is with Briel.

Roma - Day 1 & 2

ITALY | Sunday, 28 October 2007 | Views [1257] | Comments [1]

Colosseum in Roma - WOW

Colosseum in Roma - WOW

Read again - I updated it properly!

Firstly sorry for the crappy blog - we no longer have free internet so time is short!  I will change this blog to be more interesting!

Well staying in Due Ponte outside of Roma.  It is only a 10min train ride from Flamino station.  So pretty cool.  We have a tiny cabin which is VERY well heated hehe (we nearly pass out it is so hot). But the bathrooms in the cabin are err.  So we use the public bathrooms which looks like a palace!  Even has orchestra music playing in the background.

On the first day, we walked the city.. Saw the pantheon, collesseum, palatino, tones of churches, the fountain - WOW.

TIPS:  To see the colosseum, you need to buy a ticket which includes also the Palatino.  However the lines for the colosseum are over 1 hour long.  Instead, cross the road and walk about 200m to the Palatino.  Buy your ticket there immediately - walk back and enter without wait the collesseum!  hehe no more waiting!  Then you can go see the Palatino which is okay.

The Fountain De Trevi is glorious.  Really a place to relax even though there are thousands of people walking thru there all day long.  The beauty of the fountain, the water falling so clear and delicious, makes for a great day to sit in the sun and just talk the afternoon away.  Which is exactly what Briel and I did.  We had time to talk, relax and just be ourselves again after so long of such a stressful time.  It now really feels like a honeymoon.

The Colosseum was beautiful and genuis in design.  It could exit 50,000 peopl in 5min flat.  It was magnificant and was used for all the roman entertainment.  Some of it great, some inhuman.  Gladitor is the movie that springs to mind - hmmm.  The Romans were a mix of beauty, genius and barbarian.  However there is no doubt that this stucture was and is amazing.

We watched a game of football between Napoli and Juventi - napoli won due to 2 penalty kicks they got from "acrobatics"  haha typical Italian!  We got a bit tipsy on cheap wine (2.50 euros) for a carton of white. haha yummo and cheap - works for us.

Day 2 - Today we walked around some more, saw more churches.  Highlight of today was the synagouge.  It is a Roman one.  The most beautiful I ave ever seen.  Here came Pope john Paul II to greet the Rabbis in warmth and he reminded all christans that the Jewish people are the Christan elder brother.  It was a moving speech which helped the jewish community feel at home again after the post war turmol in Roma.

Saw the roman pyramid, climbed some fences to check out a castle which we missed opening time... hehe..

Have been eating great pizza, gelato, crepes - creama & Chicoolata brand!  AUGH!  SOOOOO GOOD.

However did have a morning when I missed Amsterdam (Pere and Rene) terribly.  I guess it took me a while to realise how much we loved amsterdam and how a part of us was not yet ready to leave.  :(

Anyway ciao for now --- no free internet at the moment.  xoxxo

Tags: Sightseeing

Comments

1

hey there!

So great to read all your stories.
The other day I passed Schiphol with the car on my way to a client......and thinking of you guys not being here anymore. It's quite here now in the house......but we have Hoochie still visiting us everyday....However she turned out to be a he:-)!! We named him Skippy now..Cause he jumps like a kangeroo Hehehehehe ;-)


Kisses and lots of love.
Waiting for your next journals...

  Pere en René Oct 30, 2007 9:16 AM

About abelaine


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.