Existing Member?

More Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness" Mark Twain

Taking Care of Business

USA | Wednesday, 20 March 2013 | Views [494]

Out with the old, in with the new

Out with the old, in with the new

We’re back in Colorado, a state we once called home.  Our mission is to take care of essential business and catch up with some old friends.  After seven years, as many continents and fifty countries, the wheels, quite literally, fell off our luggage.  A trip to REI, our outfitter of choice, got us new wheelies, boots, sandals, raingear, sunglasses – you get the idea – and put a significant dent in our credit card balance.  It’s not too bad when you amortize it over several years.

john's stuff

    Enough medicnine to keep John going for over a year.

     Dental hygiene is important when you travel

Getting an annual physical, especially at our age, is only asking for trouble.  Blood pressure, blood tests for cholesterol, PSA, pap smears – the likelihood of finding something wrong is astronomical.  Yet against all odds we were declared fit as fiddles – old fiddles to be sure and a bit out of tune; nothing a few hundred dollars of prescriptions wouldn’t take care of.  Just typhoid pills for both of us, a yellow fever inoculation for John and and we are good to go.  Things were more expensive at the dentist and optometrist, however.  X-rays, cleanings and a crown for Connie cost us $1500 as did new glasses and contacts.  We might not look good but we certainly see better.

 

About vagabondstoo

Easter Island, 2012

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.