Existing Member?

More Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness" Mark Twain

Houston

USA | Saturday, 9 March 2013 | Views [462]

Quilts, Galveston

Quilts, Galveston

Baseball, that most American of games, is one of our homecoming rituals; a way to touch base (pun intended) and reassure ourselves that we are home.  Not that Texas is home.  Nor is the US, now that I think about it.  And we are told that what this year’s Houston Astros play hardly qualifies as baseball.  So instead, we went to a quilt show to reconnect with America.  Both Connie and Laura are quilters and Greg and I, dutiful husbands that we are, go where we are told.  Actually, both of us enjoyed the exhibit both for the artistic quality and the historic tradition; the quilts were inspired by letters written during the Civil War.  Truth be told, I have gone voluntarily to several quilting exhibits and always had a good time.

      Touring Houston on two wheels

We have been to Houston several times but never had a chance to explore the city.  Doing it on a Segway added another dimension to the experience, plus the opportunity for serious injury.  The trails were well laid out and took us all around the bayous.  There was no bloodshed and we all had a fun time.  Then it was off to the “Azalea Trail” in an unbelievably upscale area of mansions and gardens.  Catching the shrubs in full bloom was an unexpected treat. 

       Flag and azaleas

About vagabondstoo

Easter Island, 2012

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.