Existing Member?

More Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness" Mark Twain

Cartagena de Indias

COLOMBIA | Thursday, 28 February 2013 | Views [714]

Historic Cartagena

Historic Cartagena

Both the temperature and the humidity were hovering in the mid-80s as we stepped off the plane, ill-attired in our "Bogota clothes" - long trousers and fleece tops.  But it was only a short ride to Hotel Torre del Reloj and a quick change into shorts and T-shirts.  February is high season in Cartagena and hotels in the historic areas of Centro and San Diego are charging premium prices.  Hotel Torre del Reloj seemed like a good deal; a 4-star hotel at 3-star prices.  It doesn't have all the ammenities you would expect for the price but the location on the Plaza de Paz is perfect.  Plus there is Juliet, the most helpful (and cute) receptionist one could ask for.  

Cartagena, along with Ouro Preto and Cuzco, is considered among the most interesting and best preserved South American colonial towns, truly deserving its UNESCO World Heritage status.  Unlike mountainous Cuzco and Ouro Preto, coastal Cartagena is flat - no torturous hills to climb which would be really daunting in the heat.  The historic center is a maze of crooked streets, pastel buildings with flower-covered balconies from ages past and glorious churches, all surrounded by 13 kilometers of colonial walls.  Cartagena became the main northern port for Spanish galleons shipping the treasure plundered from the area.

   Begging in the Cathedral - Not everything is golden in Cartagena

The old town isn't that large and it becomes a giant steam bath by 11 AM.  We are taking it slow, wandering this way and that and taking tons of photos.  If we lose our way it is easy to find the Torre del Reloj, the clock tower, and our air-conditioned room.  There is a definite Caribe vibe with colorful vendors on every corner selling fresh fruit, cold drinks, street food, Panama hats, jewelry and enough sweets to put you into a coma.  We are, after all, opposite the Puerta de los Dulces!  

 

About vagabondstoo

Easter Island, 2012

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Colombia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.