Existing Member?

More Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness" Mark Twain

All Aboard!

BRAZIL | Saturday, 19 January 2013 | Views [480]

"Split Image" entering a tunnel, Serra Verde Express

The Serra Verde Express, a luxury train through the Atlantic Rainforest, runs every Saturday and Sunday at 9:15 from Curitiba to Morretes.  If the $150 price tag seems too high for a four-hour train ride, a regular train leaves an hour earlier.  Economy seats cost $35 or you can upgrade as we did to Executive class for $55.  Whichever you choose, all of the trains use the same tracks and all the cars on a train arrive at the same time.

The trains move at a sedate 25 kph, with several stops to allow priority freight trains to pass carrying soybeans, cotton and other goods to the port city of Paranagua.  Even at a snail's pace it is a dizzying ride.  Open vistas are rare and the lush foliage of the rainforest passes only inches from the open windows.  Eugene, our coach guide, gave a count-down as we approached an open place for a photo op: 3-2-1-clickclickclick.  Our train carried about 900 men, women, teens and kids - all out for a good time.  There was much hooting and whooping through each of the thirteen tunnels, spurred on by the men encouraged with their early morning beers; beer, coffee, soft drinks and snacks are complimentary in Executive class.  We were the only non-Brazilians in our car but Eurgene took time to give us the lowdown in English.

h

     Hanging out

It would have been faster - and cheaper - to take the bus to Morretes but not nearly as scenic.  We would have missed the lush rainforest with its colorful flowers and occassional waterfalls.  Besides, there is something special about a train, isn't there.  

tr

   Manaca da Serra blossoms

The passengers melted away into Morretes, some to lunch, others to the bus station for a return to Curitiba or, like us, onward to Paranagua.  Brazil's second-largest port won't attract a lot of tourists but it is where you can find a boat to Ilha do Mel, Honey Island, where we will head tomorrow.

     Sailing from Paranagua

 

About vagabondstoo

Easter Island, 2012

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.