Existing Member?

More Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness" Mark Twain

A View From Both Sides

CYPRUS | Friday, 13 February 2015 | Views [583]

Coffee and worry beads, Pafos

Coffee and worry beads, Pafos

SALAMIS BEHIND US AND A BLEAK WEATHER FORECAST ahead, we decided to return the car early and hole up back in Nicosia where we could enjoy the comforts of the Centrum and the amenities of Ledra Street while we mused on our time in Cyprus.  Certainly the Greek and Turkish Cypriots have their differences — have had for generations — and each side believes their arguments are valid.  It’s not for us to say.

But now that we have seen both sides of Cyprus — the North and the South, Turkish and Greek, ancient and modern — we can state positively that Cyprus is one of the few places we have visited where we could conceive of living.  Cyprus just feels right.   True, we soon would probably go nutsy with island fever and the Green Line is a definite pain in the tuchus.  The South seems a bit more modern but things are less expensive in the North.  Both native Greek- and Turkish-speakers speak pretty good English and there is no shortage of ex-pats on either side.  

Greek Cypriots are friendly and outgoing.  And so are the Turkish Cypriots.  Maybe it’s time for everyone to get together and sing Kumbaya.  Until then Connie and I have decided to go along with Turkey and recognize Northern Cyprus as a country, #118 for me and #127 for Connie.

 

About vagabondstoo

Easter Island, 2012

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Cyprus

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.