Existing Member?

More Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness" Mark Twain

The Neolithic Village of Choirokoitia

CYPRUS | Thursday, 29 January 2015 | Views [504]

Ruins of the Neolithic village of Choirokoitia

Ruins of the Neolithic village of Choirokoitia

THE NEOLITHIC FOLKS WHO BUILT CHOIROKOITIA DIDN’T have an Arthur Evans to dream up a sexy name for their civilization like he did with the Minoans.  What they did have was the first human settlement on Cyprus, complete with a hillside village of circular stone houses and ritualistic burials way back around 7000 BC.  As Stone Age archeological sites go, Choirokoita doesn’t have the charm of Stonehenge but the mere fact that it exists is reason enough to visit. 

b    ma

   Built by Angels                                  Mosaic of Virgin Mary

We left Larnaka yesterday in our rented KIA Picanto.  It is minuscule, underpowered but is the same color blue as my honey’s eyes.  Our first stop was Agia Napa on the east end of the island.  We had no intention of staying in Cyprus’s beach party town, just wanted to be able to say we saw it.  Then we retraced our route past Larnaka to Kiti and the 11th Century Panagia Angeloktisti, the church “built by angels,” to see the famous Mosaic of the Virgin Mary.

li

    Lemessos, aka Limassol

After our visit to Choirokoitia we continued on to Lemessos, our base for the next three days.  Lemessos was put on the map when Richard the Lionheart washed up here on his way to the Crusades in 1191.  But today it is more like little Odessa with Cyrillic and Greek in equal measures. 

 

 

About vagabondstoo

Easter Island, 2012

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Cyprus

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.