Existing Member?

More Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness" Mark Twain

Mykonos

GREECE | Wednesday, 31 December 2014 | Views [708]

Rough sailing, Mykonos

Rough sailing, Mykonos

ONLY STRAY CATS AND VAGABONDS GO TO MYKONOS in the winter.  (We haven't seen any mad dogs or Englishmen.)  Party Central in the summer, Mykonos was more of a ghost town when our ferry arrived on Sunday.  Most of the hotels are closed and many of the residents are AWOL for the holidays.  Even the island buses have ceased running.  But Petros, the Pelican, was there to great us just as if it were summertime.

ca

    Stray cats and Vagabonds

The crossing from Pireaus was surprisingly smooth, but all that changed overnight as the worst weather of the season blew in.  It is cold and rainy with strong winds, and even in our sheltered bay the road flooded at high tide.  We’re staying at the SailInn at Ornos Beach, 3.5 km from Mykonos Town.  It is remote but has good wifi, BBC World and a kitchenette.  After exploring the island for a while, we provisioned at a nearby market and have hunkered down for a long winters nap. 

   pet    ch

  Petra, the avian mayor                        Last of the blue skies

“Why Mykonos?” you ask.  “Delos,” we reply.  At least that was the idea.  Delos, one of the premier archeological sites in Greece, is a 30-minute boat ride away — when the boat is running.  In winter, they go only on Friday and Sunday.  If there are enough people.  And if the weather is good.  Which it ain’t!  Not everything goes according to plan so we will return to Athens tomorrow and regroup.  Better luck next time.

 

About vagabondstoo

Easter Island, 2012

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Greece

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.