Existing Member?

More Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness" Mark Twain

Terraced Rice Paddies of Banaue

PHILIPPINES | Thursday, 13 November 2014 | Views [2434]

Banaue Terraced Rice Paddies

Banaue Terraced Rice Paddies

THE WHS TERRACED RICE PADDIES MAY BE WORTH THE TRIP to Banaue but the birding isn’t.  Connie found a report from a birding trip to the area and decided it was worth a look.  As it turns out the birding was near Mt. Polis, 1 1/2 hours away and a Land Rover is needed to get to the site.  We did manage to find a half-dozen new species near the hotel.

ifag

   Ifagao women

We hired a tricycle taxi, one of those ubiquitous motorcycle adaptions that are similar to a tuk-tuk, to take us to see the terraced rice paddies.  It is amazing to think that these same paddies have been producing rice for more than 2000 years.  There are a number of places to stop and take photos and each viewpoint comes with its own souvenir shop and old lady or two in native headdress ready for a photo.  The views get better the farther up the road you go but the morning haze and the ever-changing light separate the point-and-shooters from the real photographers.  Today I think I came in somewhere towards the middle of the pack.

rice

 

 

About vagabondstoo

Easter Island, 2012

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.