Existing Member?

More Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness" Mark Twain

Cagayan de Oro

PHILIPPINES | Thursday, 6 November 2014 | Views [439]

Limketkai Luxe, everything you could want

Limketkai Luxe, everything you could want

WHEN YOU HEAR ABOUT TROUBLE IN THE PHILIPPINES, they are probably talking about Mindanao.  But Zamboanga, where government forces and the MILF (no, not that MILF but the Moro Islamic Liberation Front) are still battling, is far from Cagayan de Oro, where we are staying.  The Limketkai Hotel, when price is factored in, may be the best place we have ever stayed.  It is brand new with big rooms, comfy beds, OK wi-fi, dozens of satellite channels and a superb breakfast buffet.  As a bonus there is a new mall with good restaurants and a well-stocked supermarket.  The downside is that, like all hotels in Cagayan, it is an hour from the airport and 60 km from Mt. Kitanglad where we heard there is good birding.  

We arranged for a car and driver to take us on a scouting expedition.  It is slow going on the twisting road with numerous construction stops.  And a bit frightening as we passed lumbering trucks on blind curves.  As in other countries where drivers act as if they had long-term, no-cut contracts with god, everyone expects lunatic behavior and everything works out.

hard

This is Del Monte country and we really needed four-wheel drive to negotiate the rutted, muddy roads through the pineapple fields.  Jumbo had only 2WD but he gave it a good try and we found a few new species.  It must be difficult for the folks who live here.  While we were in the area we decided to check out the Pitcher Plant Farm where German Voelker and his Filippina wife Janet grow and sell insectivorous plants and run a three room lodge.  We were so impressed that we booked the self-catering suite for three nights and hired Jumbo to ferry us back in the morning.

 

 

About vagabondstoo

Easter Island, 2012

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.