Existing Member?

More Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness" Mark Twain

Sabang

PHILIPPINES | Sunday, 2 November 2014 | Views [422]

Stormy day at Sabang beach, Palawan

Stormy day at Sabang beach, Palawan

IT WAS RAINING CATS AND DOGS when we arrived at Sabang on the other side of Palawan from Puerto Princessa.  The pool was dappled with raindrops and the ocean looked surly.  It didn’t bode well for a weekend at the Sheridan Beach Resort.  The weather eventually cleared but it remained hot and humid — like Jersey in August.

Sabang is much less developed than Puerto, despite upscale resorts like the Sheridan.  Water bulls pull plows, rice is dried on the roadway and the houses are made from woven mats and thatch.  Most folks come here for the nearby underground river but we are (surprise!) looking for birds.  We have done underground rivers before and weren’t much interested.

 

kid      gir

  Boyz will be boyz                                 Sugar and spice

 

We didn’t mind being charged for entry into the national park.  Nor for the community access fee.  But we refused to pay for the required local guide.  We just didn’t want another person with us talking, especially one who didn’t know anything about the local birds.  So we settled for exploring the mangroves, the rice paddies and palm groves.  

 

pl       john

   Old school                                             Old man

 

As it turned out, it really didn’t much matter.  Romy, a birding guide I ran into, told me he and his group were disappointed with the lack of birds.  Maybe it was the weather.  Or the season.  Whatever.

 

bir

Our big sighting was the endemic Palawan hornbill, a big tick on Connie’s list.

 

 

 

 

About vagabondstoo

Easter Island, 2012

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.