Existing Member?

More Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness" Mark Twain

The Authentic Asia

MYANMAR | Friday, 5 September 2014 | Views [620]

Country living near Inle Lake

Country living near Inle Lake

THE KBZ FLIGHT FROM YANGON LEFT FIFTEEN MINUTES EARLY, as if to make up for all of the late flights in China.  It’s only an hour to Heho and another hour by taxi to Nyaung Shwe and the Amazing Nyaung Shwe Hotel which is surprisingly amazing.  Except for the elegant hotel, rural Myanmar is what we had expected — nay, yearned — to see in China. 

amaz

    Amazing

We hired bikes and wandered around the area along canals, past stilt-houses and into rice paddies where recently cut rice was drying along the dikes.  Along the road, teams separated the husks from the rice with portable gas powered threshers, a proscess that used to be done by hand.  The birding was exceptionally poor; maybe it has something to do with avian flu?

rice

     Roadside Rice processing

No matter, there is so much more to see, a new culture to explore and wonderful, friendly people to meet.  Village life goes on without playing up to the tourists, few though they are.  And we felt very welcome as we peered here and there.

hair

    Friendly people

There are many bargains in Myanmar, Amazing Nyaung Shwe being a notable exception.  Bikes rent for $1.50 a day, Diet Coke costs fifty cents a can and you can get a four-course dinner of fresh-caught grilled fish for $4.  So we treated ourselves to massages; three bucks for a 30-minute foot massage and only five for a full-hour body massage.  They weren’t the best we’ve had but it’s hard to beat the price.

 

About vagabondstoo

Easter Island, 2012

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Myanmar

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.