Existing Member?

More Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness" Mark Twain

Macau

MACAU | Saturday, 30 August 2014 | Views [381]

Babylon Casino, Macau

Babylon Casino, Macau

WE ARE NOT GAMBLERS BUT WITH OUR CHORES COMPLETED we decided to check out Macau, another of the “autonomous regions” China.  We’ve gotten to know the metro line from Mon Kok to Tsim Sha Tsui quite well, only this time we had to walk north to the HK China Ferry Terminal for the hour-long crossing.

har

     The bridge to mainland Macau

Macau is the Las Vegas of Asia, or rather Las Vegas is the Macau of the US since this former Portuguese colony has surpassed its US rival in gambling revenue.  We’re not gamblers so we didn't bother crossing on to the "mainland" but stayed near the ferry terminal for lunch.  But it still counts as a new country for me. They even have their own currency but we were able to use our Hong Kong dollars.   

r

    When in Rome in Macau

It was as hot as Dubai as we walked past a soon-to-open Roman-themed casino and the aptly named Babylon before ducking into the Sands to cool off.  Macau, like Vegas in the summer, is not pedestrian friendly, so we caught the next ferry back to Kowloon.  So much for Macau.

 

About vagabondstoo

Easter Island, 2012

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Macau

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.