Existing Member?

More Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness" Mark Twain

Shanghai

CHINA | Tuesday, 26 August 2014 | Views [480]

Pudong area at night, Shanghai River cruise

Pudong area at night, Shanghai River cruise

SHANGHAI MUST BE THE PRIDE OF THE PEOPLES' REPUBLIC.  It is the largest city in China, a major port and the up-and-coming financial center of the country.  Everything about Shanghai has been intimately planned, from the high-speed MagLev rail line from the airport and the city's highways to the nightly light show along the Yangzi River.  But when all is said and done, it isn't the most exciting place in the country.

 

mag

      High-speed and high-tech

Shanghai is the last stop on our Wendy Wu tour; we'll be on our own in Hong Kong.  Lilly, our guide, met our late flight from Guilin (we haven't had a single flight in China that was on time) and led us to the train into town.  The high-speed MagLev (magnetic levitation??) traiin can reach speeds of 431 kilometers per hour on the 30 km trip but we topped out at only 301 km/h, just under 190 mph!  Once again our hotel is much nicer than we are used to with a real feast for breakfast.  Lilly is older than the other guides we have had.  Her English is very good since she also teaches it in night school to Chinese businessman.  We disappointed her right off the bat by refusing the trip to the silk market and opting out of a special $100 lunch and some other "extra charge" options.  Frankly, I am over China.  Except for Xi'an's Terracotta Wariors and the Great Wall, there is little we have seen that is either unique or world-class.

vas

    Classic Ming Dynasty vase, Shanghai Museum

For example, the Bund area of Shanghai along the Yangzi River is supposed to have stylish buildings and unique architecture but it doesn't compare with any of the European cities we have visited.  Likewise Xintiandi and its French Concession's cafe culture.  It is unique perhaps for China but hardly memorable.  And the Jade Buddha Temple doesn't compare to those of truly Buddhist countries.  We did enjoy the Shanghai Museum's collection of jade art and Qing and Ming ceramics but were disappointed that the calligraphy and painting exhibits were closed.  And Ku Gardens were a pleasant respite in the middle of the city.

ku

   Ku Gardens

smog

   Not as bad as Xi'an

I read that each year China adds enough coal-fired electric plants to power France.  An evening on the Yangzi River cruise will show why they are needed.  And a day along the river will show the resulting air pollution.  The lighting on the towering buildiings of the Pudong district would make the folks of Las Vegas sit up and take notice.  It's tacky, of course, but the Chinese tourists really eat it up - just makes them proud to be Chinese.  And like in Vegas, I had to take a lot of photos.  Just couldn't help myself!

About vagabondstoo

Easter Island, 2012

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.