Existing Member?

More Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness" Mark Twain

Back Roads of Southern Ireland

IRELAND | Tuesday, 29 July 2014 | Views [617]

Glendalough Monastic site

Glendalough Monastic site

“AH, THEN, YOU'D BE WANTIN' MARY PHELAN," the woman replied when I asked directions to Moate Lodge in Athy.  Ireland does not yet have postal codes  and the 18th Century farm cum B&B doesn’t even have a street address but everyone seems to know each other.  With the directions combined with some  signs overgrown by the hedges, we eventually stumbled on Moate Lodge where Mary showed us to a very large comfortable room with nice furnishings and fed us tea and homemade scones.  The wi-fi didn’t work worth a darn but, hey . . . Raymond’s family has been working the farm pretty much since the Famine.  It must feel good to know that the Jameson's you're sipping was made with barley from your farm.

s

    Swiss Cottage

For a week or so we have been tooling around southern Ireland on twisty back roads - more lost than found - searching out monasteries, castles, priories, picturesque villages and other goodies listed on our Irish Heritage Pass.  The weather is still unpredictable but it has warmed enough to give the illusion of summer; we have even joined the natives and donned shorts though we still keep our vests and rain jackets handy.

tin

    Tintern Abbey, Irish version

Ireland is pleasant but it is kind of a cul de sac culturally and historically.  There is much to make you smile and we never tire of saying, “Isn’t that cute.”  But there really isn’t much to write about.  So here are a few photos from our recent drives and there are more in the album.

 

     Interiour carvings on 4000 year-old Loughcrew Passage Tombs

 

mae

     Mare and foal, Irish Natinal Stud Farm

 

About vagabondstoo

Easter Island, 2012

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Ireland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.