Existing Member?

More Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness" Mark Twain

Armagh: St. Patrick and the Gargoyles

UNITED KINGDOM | Sunday, 6 July 2014 | Views [453]

Character found at the Library, Armagh

Character found at the Library, Armagh

ARMAGH IS ST. PATRICK COUNTRY, SECURELY ANCHORING Armagh on the Saint Patrick Trail.  We stopped at the St. Patrick Center in (where else?) Downpatrick only to learn that while much is said, not much is known about the patron saint of Ireland who built his church here in the mid-Sixth Century.  In fact, some scholars think that “he” may be a compilation of several “thems.”  Not to worry, there is still enough green beer to go around.

pat

   St. Patrick Center

A mysterious saint isn’t all that Armagh has to offer.  The town is populated by a couple of dozen wee folks, bronze angels and gargoyles hiding in plain sight — if you know where to look!  It took us a couple of hours even using the tourist center map but we found and photographed all of them.

bb                    po

  Lamplighter                                                               Special delivery

                          wa

                                  Tempus fugit

Less than two miles from central Armagh but a world away, we found a gem of a B&B.    Hillview B&B is by far the nicest place we have stayed on the entire trip.  Alice and Dermott make it feel like home.  The rooms are spacious and comfortable, the views superb and breakfast in the sunroom is delicious.  Not to be missed!

 

About vagabondstoo

Easter Island, 2012

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.