Existing Member?

More Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness" Mark Twain

Scotland's Backroads

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 17 June 2014 | Views [560]

Garry explains EVERYTHING about the Dupplin Cross

Garry explains EVERYTHING about the Dupplin Cross

WITH SIR CLIVE, OUR SatNav, PROGRAMMED FOR SCENIC routes we have been working our way south through the list of sites in our Historic Scotland guide.  Fort George and Elgin Cathedral, Arbroath Abbey and Edzell Castle, Spiney Palace and Duff House, St. Andrews Abbey and Araberdour Castle, Dunfermiline Abbey and Lochleven Castle.  Our path crissed and crossed and zigged and zagged on narrow country roads across the A9 Highway. Our progress was slowed by bicycle races, marathons and omnipresent tractors on the road but speed wasn’t one of our priorities.

cli

     The scenic route though Scotland's history

After a while all of the bits of rubble begin to look alike, their stories intertwine to make history.  But every so often something stands out.  Like the Dupplin Cross in St. Serfs Church.  Garry, an amateur historian and self-appointed foster parent of the cross, spent a good half-hour giving us the facts, speculation and theories relating to “her” history, almost bringing the best preserved of the Pictish crosses to life.

for

    Fortevoit, too cute for words

Eventually our route brought us to the tiny hamlet of Fortevoit, one of the most charming places we have seen.  And we aren’t its only admirers.  One of the residents told me that William and Kate stopped for a look-see only two weeks ago.  Fortevoit is probably the only thing we Commoners share with the Royals.

 

About vagabondstoo

Easter Island, 2012

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.