Existing Member?

More Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness" Mark Twain

Isle of Skye

UNITED KINGDOM | Saturday, 7 June 2014 | Views [514]

Urquhart Castle on Loch Ness

Urquhart Castle on Loch Ness

SOME TAKE THE LOW ROAD, SOME TAKE THE HIGH ROAD.  We took the long road to the Isle of Skye, with a detour to Urquhart Castle on Loch Ness and a stop in Inverness.  It was another great day for driving, light traffic and sunny skies and we had plenty of time to spare.  Not much remains of Urquhart Castle except location, location, location.  Urquhart sits picturesquely on Loch Ness, lair of the famous monster.  Nessy was absent today, as always, but one must look, right?

ness

    Loch Ness

After a stop in Inverness to extend our car rental agreement we continued on the Isle of Skye.  Skye, we’re told, is a microcosm of Scotland with forests, hiking trails, mountains, lochs and coastline.  It was also a haven for Clan Mac Innes (or Mc Innes, Mac Inness, and 150 other variations including Maginness) my people’s people’s people before they decamped for Ireland.

rhod

   Last of the season

McKinnon House Hotel is conveniently located just across the bridge.  It was our most expensive lodging yet but undoubtedly the nicest.  Our spacious room came with an electric fireplace and a four-poster canopy bed.  After a sumptuous breakfast of porridge, smoked salmon and poached eggs we spent all of Saturday driving the island, stopping for photos and taking time to hike.  The rhododendrons are approaching their use-by date but how glorious they have been during their peak.  It has been tempting to frame them into every photo, and why not?

room

 

    McKinnon House 

 

 

 

About vagabondstoo

Easter Island, 2012

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.