Existing Member?

More Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness" Mark Twain

The Road to Stykksholmur

ICELAND | Wednesday, 21 May 2014 | Views [1715]

The West Coast, Reykjavik to Stykkisholmur

The West Coast, Reykjavik to Stykkisholmur

NOT EVEN THAT INTREPID DUO CROSBY AND HOPE ventured upon the Road to Stykksholmur.  To our surprise, Sir Clive, our trusty SatNav, knew the way from Reykjavik.  Or rather, his way.  Clive has acquiesced to our frequent birding stops, photo ops, lunch breaks and pee stops and has even accepted John's missed turns.  But "His Snootiness" was totally miffed yesterday when we decided to circumnavigate the Snefells Peninsula rather than follow his directions.

sne

   Mt Snefells

Our much longer route took us from Reykjavik through Borgarnes along the rugged coast, through lava fields and beneath Mt. Snefells volcano, appaloosad with snow.  The day, which had started with bright sunshine, turned cloudy and windy by the time we reached the Stykksholmur Hotel where they couldn't locate our reservation.  No problem, they had plenty of rooms.  Which was a good thing.  The first room they assigned us hadn't been cleaned and the wifi didn't work in the second.  Third tiime was a charm.  One might expect more for $145 a night.

nor

     "Norwegian House," Stykksholmur

Stykksholmur has shifted gears from being a center for herring fishing to tourism.  The old section near the harbor has been restored to its 19th Century splendor. But this musem to the past, like many other sites in northern Iceland, won't open until June.  We may have beaten the tourist rush but there are drawbacks and we had to be satisfied with a walk around on this freezing, windy morning.  

 

 

 

 

 

About vagabondstoo

Easter Island, 2012

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Iceland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.