Existing Member?

More Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness" Mark Twain

Bhutan: A Peaceful Easy Feeling

BHUTAN | Sunday, 13 April 2014 | Views [514]

Prayer flags, smoke and a rice paddy, Panaka

Prayer flags, smoke and a rice paddy, Panaka

THE EAGLES COULD HAVE BEEN SINGING ABOUT BHUTAN.  The quiet Buddhist vibe is a welcome change from the chaos of India.  The air is cleaner, the rivers clearer, the forests greener, the people are more gracious and birdsong, not hooting car horns, fills the air.  Time seems to pass more slowly, distances are measured in days of walking, not kilometers.

But there is a price that must be paid, both in money and freedom.  Foreigners pay a minimum of $250 per person per day to visit Bhutan.  And while this covers food, lodging, transportation and a guide it is still more than twice our daily budget.  The price paid in lack of freedom is more difficult to calculate.  Guides insure that everyone has pretty much the same experience, whether trekking, attending festivals or visiting temples.  Only twice, when Penjur was busy taking care of Rene, Keiko and Pam, were we able to go off on our own.  These were the most special times for us; the unaccompanied climb to Tiger's Nest when we could venture off trail or sit and enjoy the quiet and the time we left the Paro Festival to explore Paro and met the Queen Mother. Having all their needs anticipated, all activities scheduled, and all transportation arranged may appeal to many tourists but we believe it limits our chances for adventure.

sp

    For luck

If you are looking for a very comfortable trip to someplace few tourists visit, one that will engage your senses without pushing your limits, Bhutan is the place.  Come and spin a prayer wheel or two.  It will do your karma good. 

 

About vagabondstoo

Easter Island, 2012

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Bhutan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.