Existing Member?

More Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness" Mark Twain

The Talo Festival

BHUTAN | Thursday, 10 April 2014 | Views [1097]

Dancers, Talo Shedra Festival, near Punakha

Dancers, Talo Shedra Festival, near Punakha

TALO TSECHO, THE TALO FESTIVAL, BEGAN TENTATIVELY as if the performers were sizing up the audience.  Clashing cymbals and hooting horns announced the first act, a trio in red masks who clowned and cavorted as the audience settled in.  Today is not a holiday in Punakha so only the self-employed, unemployed and stay-at-home moms attended, along with swarms of truant kids – actually, they may not have been truant; education isn’t compulsory in Bhutan – each it seems with a blanket to sit on, baskets of food and pots of tea.  Everyone, down to the tiniest tot was wearing the native Bhutanese costume, ghos for guys and miras in every color and pattern for the girls.  We couldn’t understand the jokes, of course, but the locals got a chuckle or two.  The dances, we surmised, told stories of Bhutan culture as they have for centuries before the people could read.

too fast

   Too fast for the eye

cum

   Cumquats, Talo Festival

Connie wandered off in search of birds while I walked around taking photos of the marvelous faces.  The Bhutanese not only don’t seem to mind being photographed, they seem to welcome it.  Perhaps it adds merit to their karma.  And they welcome foreigners.  I found Connie surrounded by several young monks discussing birds and sharing peeks through her binoculars.

conn

   Connie's new friends

Not everyone was interested in the dancing.  Downhill from the performance area were dozens of makeshift shops selling food, tea, crafts and made-in-China junk to tourists and locals alike while handsful of money exchanged hands as bets were won and lost on darts, dice and wheel of fortune.

cr

    Luch be a lady

After reversing the terrible road back to Thimphu, none of us was particularly interested in following the rest of the program for but we all looked forward to another night in the wonderful Khang Residency.  Thimphu was more of a break in the travel from Punakha to Paro than must-do destination but before heading to Paro we did take time to see Bhutan’s national animal,  the takin, a goat/antelope that, much like the wildebeest, appears to be made up of spare parts.

tak

   Takin 

 

 

About vagabondstoo

Easter Island, 2012

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Bhutan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.