Existing Member?

More Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness" Mark Twain

Sanchi and Bhimetka World Heritage Sites

INDIA | Tuesday, 4 March 2014 | Views [2577]

Great Stupa and Gateway, Sanchi

Great Stupa and Gateway, Sanchi

WHEN IT COMES TO THE RELIGIONS OF INDIA we are five for five: Hindu temples at Hampi; Christian cathedrals in Old Goa; Champaner’s mosques; Delwara Jain temples at Mt. Abu; and now the Buddhist Great Stupa at Sanchi.

details

    Gateway to the Great Stupa

The enlightened emperor Ashoka who embraced Buddhism in 262 BC, built the temples and stupas of Sanchi a hill overlooking the serene farmland about 50 km NE of Bhopal.  As Buddhism declined they were forgotten and overgrown in.  The treasures of Sanchi were rediscovered by a British officer in 1818 and the site was restored by British archeologists from 1881 till 1919.  The highlight of this World Heritage site is the Great Stupa and its four decorative entry gates.  Little of the other 40-something stupas remain.

co

     Exploring Bhimetka

Fifty kilometers in the opposite direction from Bhopal is the World Heritage site of Bhimetka Rock Paintings. Those ancient artists sure picked a scenic place for their work.  It is quiet and remote and we enjoyed one of our best days in India as we wandered from shelter to shelter admiring paintings that existed for more than 10,000 years.

bison

    Bison or Boar?

People around the world will soon be able to see Bhimetka on google.  As we were leaving the "street view" crew were walking the trails with their 360 camerals.

google

   The Man From Google

About vagabondstoo

Easter Island, 2012

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.