Existing Member?

More Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness" Mark Twain

Starting the Year With Martin Luther

GERMANY | Wednesday, 1 January 2014 | Views [560]

Luther's

Luther's "95 Thesis," on Castle Church door, Wittenburg

Martin Luther hardly started out to be a religious leader.  He was on his way to becoming a lawyer.  But when fearing for his life in a storm in 1505 he called upon St. Anne a la Burt Reynolds in The End.  “If you save me I will devote my life to the Lord.”  And he meant it, too!  Monastic life didn’t come easy and Luther never achieved the spiritual fulfillment he hoped for.  He was further disillusioned by the immorality and corruption among the priests he observed while on a mission to Rome.

witt

     Deserted Wittenburg, 1/1/2014

Fast forward to Wittenburg, 1517 where having completed his doctorate he was a professor of theology.  When Pope Leo X proclaimed another round of indulgences to raise money for St. Peters Basilica, Luther reached the end of his rope.  He marched down the street and posted his famous “95 Thesis” to the door of the Castle Church.  He meant them not as a condemnation of the Catholic Church but as topics for discussion (or so he said!) but it was like posting something on Facebook without fully considering the consequences.  Pope Leo saw things differently, eventually excommunicating poor Martin.  So Luther did what any wronged, strong-minded German would do.  He married Katrina von Bora, an ex-nun, and started a religious movement.  Makes me wonder if he was a visionary or a disgruntled employee.

close

       Under construction

Wittenburg was mostly deserted on this first morning of the New Year and I wonder if the crowds will soon return.  The town is undergoing a major facelift in preparation for the 500th anniversary of the Reformation and will be in a shambles until 2017.

 

 

 

 

About vagabondstoo

Easter Island, 2012

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.