Existing Member?

More Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness" Mark Twain

Heidelberg

GERMANY | Sunday, 22 December 2013 | Views [537]

Heidelberg Castle

Heidelberg Castle

Rick Steves doesn’t think much of Heidelberg, Germany’s one time capital and home to the oldest university.  It isn’t worth a single day, he says, in the typical three-week holiday in Germany.  And if you have only three weeks, “Es tut mir leid!”  (That’s Deutsch for “Sorry ‘bout that.”) 

from

      View from the castle wall

We are staying at a place along the Neckar a couple of kilometers downstream from Heidelberg and for the first time in weeks the temperature has climbed above freezing, ironically on this first full day of winter.  It’s raining, of course, but warm.  Despite Herr Steves feelings, Heidelberg was a good place to break up our drive from Ainring and the Schloss gave wonderful views of the town below and the River Neckar.  The Castle is in partial ruin, which makes it look even more romantic, kind of like an English abbey.  Which is probably why Mark Twain and Victor Hugo took the time to mention it in their works.  And they wrote better than Rick, don’t you think?

 

 

About vagabondstoo

Easter Island, 2012

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.