Existing Member?

More Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness" Mark Twain

Carthage

TUNISIA | Monday, 28 October 2013 | Views [534]

Painting of old Carthage

Painting of old Carthage

Phoenician Carthage was the economic hub of the western Mediterranean in the 1st Millennium, BC.  Carthage was also a perpetual tweak of the empirical Roman nose.  When Rome had had enough, it exercised its military might and the Punic Wars were on.  All three of them.

hann

 

    Gone but not forgotten

Carthage's favorite son and golden boy, Hannibal, took exception and replied with one of history's most famous military campaigns.  Roman legions literally "saw the elephant" as Hannibal coaxed his war elephants over the Alps and into Italy.  Despite the young Carthaginian's brilliance, Rome prevailed and put Carthage out of business.  Permanently.  A century later Carthage reopened for business, now under Roman management.

pu

    Punic Quarter

Roman world domination declined and fell and Carthage changed hands in much the same way the rest of the Empire did: first the Visigoths followed by the Arabs and Islam.  Then came the Ottomans and finally the French colonials.  Each left their mark on today's Tunis.  We learned all this at the Carthage Museum complex, a pleasant tram ride from central Tunis.  The museum sits on a hill with views of Tunis and the Mediterranean and includes artifacts from the good old days.

 

About vagabondstoo

Easter Island, 2012

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Tunisia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.