Existing Member?

More Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness" Mark Twain

Madagascar's Central Highlands

MADAGASCAR | Tuesday, 22 October 2013 | Views [2580]

Central highlands

Central highlands

it's a long and winding road from Ramonafana to Andasibe with spectacular views of terraced rice paddies and two-storey brick houses straight from a fairytale village.  The people who live in the Central Highlands of Madagascar call themselves the “people of the sky,” fitting since this area lies at nearly a mile above sea level.  This rice bowl of Madagascar also supplies most of the veggies for sale on the streets of Antananarivo.

pl

   Planting rice

Only a truly obsessed driver would attempt the entire trip in a day and then he would miss out on the Royal Palace Hotel in Antsirabe, a real Western-style hotel with mini-bar and wi-fi, right in the heart of Madagascar.

Grace Lodge, on the other end of the scale, is our home for the next three nights as we explore Andasibe-Mantadia National Park.  Grazielle, the manager, is a soft-spoken darling of a woman, 71 years old but looks 50.  Our room is simple and electricity is promised from 5:30 until 10.  Dinner was wonderful and Grazielle has no problem feeding us breakfast at 4:30 so we can get an early start on the day.

 

About vagabondstoo

Easter Island, 2012

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Madagascar

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.