Existing Member?

More Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness" Mark Twain

Connie's Lion

SOUTH AFRICA | Saturday, 10 August 2013 | Views [607]

Connie's lion

Connie's lion

The Gannet Place Guest House doesn’t live up to the standards of other places we have stayed recently.  It is in Hazyview, some 40 km from the Kruger Gate and we don’t have it all to ourselves!  On the plus side, it had vacancies on this Women’s Day holiday weekend and our room has a kitchen.  Guess we can make do.

Even the most intrepid travelers need a day off from time to time, a day to take care of business, buy some food and get the laundry done.  We can report “Mission accomplished!”  Clean clothes and plane tickets to Lilongwe, Malawi on Tuesday and onward two-weeks later to Lusaka, Zambia.

The day off proved to be a good idea.  Thunderstorms moved in the afternoon with heavy rains and plummeting temperatures.  We actually turned on the heat in our room.  It was still drizzling when we entered the park this morning – not the best weather for bird or beast.  Still we managed to photograph three new birds and a pride of lions.  Three females were chowing down on a dead buffalo while two satiated males lounged in the tall grass.  A bit later in the same area a lone lioness crossed just in front of us then paused to give Connie a snarling growl from five feet away.

About vagabondstoo

Easter Island, 2012

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.